AVG Problem.

The Kestrel 18:19 12 Nov 2009

I spent some time this afternoon, on the phone, trying to help my nephew with a problem concerning AVG on his laptop. Vista security centre has switched off AVG and is warning him that he has no anti-virus. He downloaded AVG9 Free a couple of days ago and this seems to be where the problem began

We first tried switching AVG back on in Security Centre but it will not allow him to do that. We also tried uninstalling AVG using control panel - programs and features and Vista will not allow him to uninstall. The same thing happens if he tries to delete the AVG folder in program files on his C drive. Can anyone suggest a method of 'forcing' Vista to uninstall AVG?

User-1229748 18:22 12 Nov 2009

aplologies if you've tried this but is he logging on as administator?

birdface 08:18 13 Nov 2009

Or maybe run malwarebytes.First thing some Trojans will do is make sure that you cannot update any of your security programs.
So maybe update and run the free version just to rule that out.

click here

The Kestrel 08:18 13 Nov 2009

It was the first thing I checked with him and he maintains he is logged on as administrator. Unfortunately as he is in Sussex and I'm in Hampshire, about 70 miles away, I cannot get to him to see exactly what he is doing. We have managed to delete the AVG9 folder from the program files, so that he is back to AVG8, but he still cannot get it to run or delete so that we can do a clean install.

birdface 08:20 13 Nov 2009

Try Revo uninstaller for removing it.

click here

The Kestrel 08:29 13 Nov 2009

Thanks buteman, will give Revo a try when I'm in contact with my nephew later today.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?