AVG Outlook Express 5 Plugin

jz 18:40 04 Oct 2004

I installed the free version of AVG V6 anti-virus software on my PC many months ago and it has never caused me any problems. Today, howeber, Outlook Express stopped working. When I run OE, it partially starts up, but then the hour glass appears and stays, and my email messages do not appear (including the old ones). I fixed the problem by unticking the 'Use Outlook Express 5 Plugin' on the 'Email Scanner' tab of AVG Control Center. I've left everything else on this tab ticked.

What does the OE5 Plugin do? Actually, I have OE6, not OE5, with Windows XP. How much more vulnerable am I to viruses by unticking the Plugin? Before things stopped working today, I've always found that using the Plugin slows down the display of old emails in other folders when I click on them in the Folder window (eg Inbox, Sent Items), so does it just re-check all the old emails in the folder that I click on for viruses that have been checked before when they were first received?

Patr100 18:50 04 Oct 2004

I think all it does is stamp outgoing emails with :

"Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (click here).
Version: 6.0.745 / Virus Database: XXXX - Release Date: XXXX"

jz 20:46 04 Oct 2004

I think that's what ticking "Certify Outgoing Messages" does, which I have ticked. The four things that I have ticked are...

Check Incoming Messages
Certify Incoming Messages
Check Outgoing Messages
Certify Outgoing Messages

MAJ 20:51 04 Oct 2004

It certainly doesn't check incoming mail. I replaced AVG with Avast4 a few months ago because of that and the viruses/trojans it was missing.

fsbb 22:56 04 Oct 2004

Click here click here

shazza65 18:53 25 Oct 2004

I currently run Windows XP and Office 2000.

I don't very often use my Outlook Express but tried it today and got a message as follows:

OUTLOOK EXE - NO DISK

X There is not disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddiski\DR2

Options are to Cancel/Try Again/Continue

Does anyone know what this means?

Just as back up info, I run AVG 6.0 Anitvirus and freeebie Zone Alarm firewall - not sure if this makes a difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)