AVG or MS Security Essentials

dth 12:16 27 Jun 2010

My daughter has a new laptop with Windows 7. I have installed OpenSuse on this and just left a small partition with Windows 7 (which she wants to use occasionally).

I am a bit out of touch with the Windows world - I used to use avg when I had windows XP. Should I install avg or is MS Security Essentials the better option these days?

Many thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:27 27 Jun 2010

Use windows own firewall and MSE for realtime protection.

back it up with Malwarebytes free click here for a weekly scan

and you will be well covered.

mooly 12:28 27 Jun 2010

MSE is excellent, requires no user input, and is ideal for a laptop as it's light on resources.
The other big plus is guaranteed compatability.

I've been using it from when it appeared in beta and would never go back to any thing else.
Use Windows own firewall, and never have more than one real time scanning AV package installed.

northumbria61 12:30 27 Jun 2010

I have used AVG for many years now (always the paid for version) I like it, some don't. It is a matter of personal choice.

MSE seems to be the "in thing" at the moment although I haven't tried it - but there are many on here who have and who I am sure will add their comments and help you decide.

As I understand it MSE doesn't have a firewall so you would have to run it alongside Windows own firewall or a 3rd party firewall.

birdface 12:41 27 Jun 2010

AVG Security Suite for £7 odd or AVG anti-Virus for £5 odds you can't beat that for price.

click here

Or MSE if looking for a freebie.

gengiscant 12:49 27 Jun 2010

Twice I have tried MSE and found it nothing but trouble. Which just goes to show that, what works on one PC might not necessarily work well on another.
So try them both,not at the same time, and see how you get on.
I personally use Panda cloud antivirus with windows firewall and spyware terminator, which works for me.

northumbria61 12:55 27 Jun 2010

buteman - "AVG Security Suite for £7 odd" where did you get that price from - Grisoft.com (AVG) sell this for £37.99 for 1 (one) computer.

birdface 13:45 27 Jun 2010

Just a matter of searching to find the cheapest place to get it from.

birdface 13:53 27 Jun 2010

Found one place where you could get 1000 downloads for Emisoft Anti-Malware for £2.30 a time.
Now if you were going to resell them I could see a hefty profit on that.
It was a Emisoft site so it must have been legit.

dth 22:16 27 Jun 2010

Many thanks for all your guidance.

I firstly tried avg but it seems much chunker than I remember it. So I settled on MS Security Essentials which seems a bit more low-key.

Thanks

morddwyd 08:40 28 Jun 2010

Tried MSE for the first six months (longer actually, as I installed the RC when it came out) but have just (this month) gone back to AVG (and Zone Alarm).

No real reason that I can put my finger on, just feel happier with third party apps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017