AVG now always requires restart?

Miros 09:37 12 Mar 2008

For the past three days my AVG after it's daily update required me to restart the PC which I did. This morning I wasn't even asked, something flashed up on the screen while I was working on something else and the PC just shut down on me. Thankfully it wasn't important so no great loss.

Has anyone else had this experience? Or have I got a gremlin?

johndrew 09:46 12 Mar 2008

Are you referring to AVG Free? If so There may be a problem as I use this and have nothing similar happening.

In the past I have had an update which corrupted the program necessitating it to be uninstalled/reinstalled before it worked correctly.

lofty29 09:48 12 Mar 2008

Hi Had the same problem, however uninstalled ran ccleaner, reinstalled the new version free avg4 no probs since

Miros 09:49 12 Mar 2008

Yes John I'm using the free version. It otherwise seems OK and is in fact scanning while I type this.

Miros 09:50 12 Mar 2008

May try that if it persists.

johnnyrocker 09:56 12 Mar 2008

i had the same prob as john drew because there not any need to reboot an AVG update mine would not reinstall so i had to switch to avast.

johnny.

birdface 10:11 12 Mar 2008

Does the same with mine.Next time you reboot the computer it will update.So nothing really to worry about.just a nuisance.

Miros 10:19 12 Mar 2008

Yes but this wasn't happening last week, and to be honest I don't often reboot unless requested by some download or other, which would mean my AVG would not be up to date if I ignored the request.

This morning I wasn't even given the option it just shut down and restarted:-(

Noels 11:02 12 Mar 2008

I don't have AVG free but had the same problem with the Pro version until I went into the scheduler and specified a particular time for downloads i.e. 7-30 am 1130 am and 4-30pm. This worked for me. I now get the splash screen telling me that a download is taking place but no request to restart my computer.
Why not give it a try it may also work for you!
Regards
Noels

Miros 11:12 12 Mar 2008

Thank you that's got to worth a try, but will not know the result till tomorrow at least. Cheers.

Jak_1 11:37 12 Mar 2008

Open up the test centre, double click update manager and check what settings you have there.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?