AVG not updated for months!

clock 17:14 12 Sep 2006

My 18 year old niece hasn't updated her AVG free virus protection since October 2005!! I decided she should update immediately, even though this would take well over an hour. I ended up with the job but her ISP kept closing the connection so was unable to complete the task.

Question: Should I just download the up to date version of AVG from my computer onto a disc then uninstall her old copy and re-install the new one?

Seems like the simplest way to me?

Clock

P.S. Have had another try since typing this post - still no joy!

Stuartli 17:19 12 Sep 2006

Use Avast! It updates automatically as required and provides a verbal and written confirmation:

click here

brundle 17:21 12 Sep 2006

Uninstall AVG, reboot, remove all traces of AVG folders and files from the PC, search for u*.bin and remove those too (update files), reboot. Install the latest version (click here), and this large update offline click here

Diemmess 17:22 12 Sep 2006

Yes.
Because if you do not uninstall first first then the old version just might not want to accept anything but an update!

I wonder why AVG doesn't ask for the opportunity to update? Mine doesn't hesitate, but then I'm on BB.

pj123 17:25 12 Sep 2006

Have to say my AVG free updates automatically whether I am logged on to the Internet or not.

I am on NTL Broadband "always on".

The latest I have is 7.1.405 updated 11.09.2006.

john-232317 19:52 12 Sep 2006

Slight contradiction there PJ ? ;-)

VoG II 19:55 12 Sep 2006

I think he meant not browsing but with an always on connection.

clock 09:48 13 Sep 2006

Thanks everybody I'll do the uninstall/re-install.

pj 123, - I can't understand why it doesn't do the updates automatically. The settings certainly seem identical to mine, am going to look further into this!

Just one other thing, -, brundle mentions u*.bin, which reminded me that something similar came up on Internet Temporary Cookies which we couldn't delete - I think it was, n> BIN. Is this anything to worry about?

clock

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?