AVG - no active components

justarluck 14:26 04 May 2009

i am running AVG free. Every morning when i boot my computer I get an empty icon tray and when i open AVG I get "no active components." when i go to control panel, admin. tools, services, AVG watchdog, i notice that it is set to start automatically, but it is stopped. when i start it (manually) it resolves the problem - however every morning it needs to be restarted manually again. I tried reinstalling AVG free 8.5.285 (?) but it didn't correct the problem. this problem is fairly new. it started up about a week ago and i have been unable to permanently resolve it. Can anyone help. Thanks.

JanetO 16:29 04 May 2009

How did you delete/uninstall it?

justarluck 16:40 04 May 2009

i did not uninstall, i installed over the existing program.

Geeksy 16:45 04 May 2009

totaly uninstall AVG, then start a fresh AVG install.

Post back with results.

Sea Urchin 16:50 04 May 2009

Something to look at as well

click here

justarluck 21:54 04 May 2009

I have followed your suggestions and downloaded a new version, uninstalled my current version and installed my newest download. i will not know until tomorrow whether this works but i will let you know. thanks.

justarluck 20:43 05 May 2009

Well, unfortunately, uninstalling and then installing the updated AVG did not work. after the computer scanned last night and i started it this morning, once again, the TRAY was empty and when you opened it. NO ACTIVE COMPONENTS. i DID CHECK THE LINK offered by Sea Urchin - some of it seemed very complicated - other parts didn't seem applicable except for the uninstalling but like i said it didn't work. any other suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Sea Urchin 21:30 05 May 2009

I think we need a rethink on this problem - I suspect you have two separate problems. I stopped AVG Watchdog on my system, and when trying to update I get "No Active Components" as expected. But my system tray is not affected - it still looks like this click here
When you say the tray is empty does it still have the clock - or the chevron (arrow button) - how does it look?

Sea Urchin 21:33 05 May 2009

.....and which other anti-spyware programs to you have running on your system?

justarluck 22:06 05 May 2009

Hi, Sea Urchin
thanks for responding.

I'm sorry, what i meant to say is that the AVG ICON on my lower right system tray is empty, that is, when i right click it the only thing that is active is EXIT. when i open the program, i get "no active components"
I am running SpyBot, Windows Defender and zone alarm. i have been running these same programs for longer than i've been running AVG 8.5, this 'no active components' is fairly new.

Sea Urchin 22:24 05 May 2009

OK so just the one problem still - if you know when it went wrong try a System Restore back to a date before that.

You say "every morning when I boot my computer....."

so presumably if you just do a restart it goes wrong again?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone