AVG needs reboot to update

Andanotherthing 09:11 14 Sep 2007

AVG used to just update automatically on startup. Now it demands a reboot immediately after startup as the icon greys out and I get an out of date error message. Is there any setting I can change to avoid the reboot? Vista Home Premium (with UAC switched off!) is the OS

Thanks

holme 09:18 14 Sep 2007

Looks like yesterday's application update didn't 'take'. Suggestions:

a) Make another attempt to update, that may work second time round (explained below).

b) If that doesn't work, do a System Restore to a point in time before you did the update. Make sure everything's working OK (I think I'm right in saying that the AVG icon will /not/ then be grey), and then again try to re-download and re-install yesterday's big update.

Note that the update came in three chunks. So if you only got the first chunk and not the second, that could give you the sysmpoms you report. In other words, if you now 'complete' Part 2 of the update, all should (hopefully) come good). HTH.

Andanotherthing 09:29 14 Sep 2007

Thanks Holme

I did have to do two reboots yesterday -but this need to reboot (usually once) has been happening every day for weeks now and I finally decided to seek advice!

Spark6 09:54 14 Sep 2007

My XP desktop has required a reboot every morning this week, I do not think it has anything to do with the size of the update because my XP laptop has taken them in its stride!

I intend to remove it from the desktop and re-install it.
HTH

Marko797 09:58 14 Sep 2007

No re-boots needed here, all updates went fine

johnnyrocker 10:05 14 Sep 2007

last time avg asked for re boot it ended up getting completely screwed and i had to get rid and now use avast.

johnny.

Clapton is God 10:10 14 Sep 2007

Avast also occasionally asks for a reboot (last time this happened was a couple of days ago).

It usually indicates a program update or a HUGE definition update.

g0slp 10:59 14 Sep 2007

No reboots needed here with AVG- 4 machines, all running XP SP2.

holme 11:06 14 Sep 2007

" ...this need to reboot (usually once) has been happening every day for weeks now"

Ah, I got the impression from your original posting ("now") that this was a recent thing, probably following yesterday's update.

If this is a long-term happening however, you may be running a slightly corrupted version. I strongly recommend that you uninstall AVG in its entirely and download/install a fresh copy from a reputable site such as click here

Having installed the fresh copy, you will probably need to update the (anti-)virus signature file.

Can I also suggest that you do /not/ configure AVG to update automatically at start-up as the cause of the original problem might just have been a clash with something else also happening at start-up.

Instead, start-up normally and, before doing anything else, double-click on the AVG icon in the system tray and click on 'Update'. That takes only a few secs and, IMHO, manually updating is rather more of a reliable method. HTH.

Andanotherthing 12:37 14 Sep 2007

Thanks Holme -have deleted and re-installed but was given no option on re-install to cancel update on start-up.

Have updated new version and --- got the usual message 'to finish the update process, it is necessary to restart the computer'!!!

Can't find where to alter to a manual update in the settings - is it me?

Thanks

holme 13:12 14 Sep 2007

"Can't find where to alter to a manual update"

Hokay. Double-click on the AVG icon to open the Control Center (well, that's how it's spelt!).

Click on 'Test Center' to open the, er, Test Center window.

Click on Scheduler and, in Scheduled Tasks, click on the line saying 'Update plan in Basic mode' to select it.

Now click on 'Edit schedule' and UNtick the 'Periodically check for Internet updates' box.

Click on 'OK' and now when you start the computer, it won't check for AVG updated. But don't forget to do them manually (when it suits you)!

If you want, you can do the same thing for 'Test plan in basic mode', allowing you to do virus scans manually. I hope that works for you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017