AVG Free download question - File Size

Chris Webster 19:46 15 Dec 2010

Hi all,

I downloaded AVG Free to my keydrive so I could install it on a friends new W7 laptop so his children could just 'fire' it up on Christmas morning.

The file size was 4.29mb but when I came to install it from the exe file AVG said I needed to be online.

I connected to my wireless and it started to download a 138mb file, then it installed and all was ok.

My only concern about doing this was that while it downloaded 138mb I was online on his laptop with no Anti-Virus protection.

My question is this,

Is there a 'full' version of AVG Free that can be downloaded because I have got another laptop to 'sort out' ready for Christmas morning and I don't really want to go online with no AV protection.

Regards, Chris.

Terry Brown 20:02 15 Dec 2010

As far as I am aware, the first part you download, (4.29mb) is just to initalise the main download, which checks your machine, (type of machine,operating system, other virus checkers).

The chances of getting a virus in the short time that AVG is downloading is very small, but I would guess there will be a lot of 'Malware' active on Christmas Day & New Years Day.

If you download the program then run the updates (there is always updates), then run the AVG you should have no problems.
Terry

Chris Webster 22:32 15 Dec 2010

Thanks Terry,

I'm doing his laptop tomorrow (16th) so I'll do it the same way as I did my other friends lappy.

I scanned that one after installation and all was well.

Regards, Chris.

Bapou 23:07 15 Dec 2010

I installed over the top of version 9 via the 4.29mb download without problem.

However,if still interested you can download the full program of 140.49mb (32bit) or 159.37mb (64bit), from File Hippo: click here

Chris Webster 22:47 16 Dec 2010

Thank you for the link.

Now installed and running fine.

Regards, Chris.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?