AVG Free 8.0 out now!

Bob The Blob 13:10 24 Apr 2008

Anyone trying the new AVG free 8.0?
I'm running it now. Interface seems a lot better than 7.5 but the link scanner seems to slow down browsing so I turned it off. Now it shows an exclamation mark in the task bar with no way of getting rid of it.

Si_L 13:27 24 Apr 2008

What does a link scanner do?

Bob The Blob 13:30 24 Apr 2008

I'd assume it checks the pages you visit on the internet to see if they are safe.

FreeCell 14:48 24 Apr 2008

Copy from AVG website

LinkScanner - what is it?

LinkScanner is a new security component. It is part of all AVG commercial editions. You can find it in the AVG user interface and you can change its configuration there as well.
You can find 3 options when you open the LinkScanner component:

Enable AVG Search-Shield
It checks the SEARCHED (using Yahoo or Google services right now) web pages content. (Freecell -I.e it marks the links as at risk or not)

Enable AVG Active Surf-Shield
It checks the VISITED web pages content while the web page is loading.

Enable reporting of exploited websites to AVG
This service sends a report about found insecure web page to our lab for more analysis.

The LinkScanner component can be connected with the AVG Security Toolbar, which is part of Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox Internet browsers.

cocteau48 15:40 24 Apr 2008

It would appear that the "active surf shield" cannot be enabled in the free version.
quote-
"AVG Free does not contain the new Safe Downloads & Instant Messaging protection (Web Shield technology) so it does not screen your downloads and communication for viruses and spyware."

and quote-
"AVG Free only includes the Safe Search protection which provides you with advice on search results. It does not protect against infected pages. Only AVG paid versions contain the Safe Surf technology."

ste76 17:49 24 Apr 2008

Why bother? It doesn't even have a web shield.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?