AVG Email scanning problem

jtt 13:27 12 Dec 2006

I have disabled AVG email scanning so that it no longer scans emails and their attachements as they get downloaded into Outlook Express. Although this seems to work most of the time, sometimes, the small AVG scanning rectangle appears at the bottom right of my PC, scanning an email as it is received into OE. How do I stop this?

Stuartli 13:42 12 Dec 2006

I would advise maintaining AVG scanning of e-mails - it doesn't do any harm to retain precautions.

john-232317 13:49 12 Dec 2006

Yeah, leave it on for incoming.

jtt 12:40 13 Dec 2006

Back to my question - does anyone know how to stop this?

beeuuem 13:26 13 Dec 2006

Open AVG control panel - select E-mail scanner > properties and disable the plugin > Apply > OK.

jtt 14:04 13 Dec 2006

Thanks beeuuem, that's what I did to disable it (and I ticked something in AVG so that AVG and Windows wouldn't keep tellimg me that I may have a security problem). Unfortunately, although it seems to have disabled the plugin for some of the time, it hasn't for all of the time.

Coff 14:52 13 Dec 2006

Try disabling it in Services. Start, Run, type services.msc and click OK. Look for AVG E-mail Scanner. Right click and click on Stop if the service is running. Also, from the right click menu, click on Properties and change the Startup type to Disabled.

Simsy 15:47 13 Dec 2006

the Control Centre, then the email scanner, then choose "Plugins" tab and "Properties... then choose the £Properties" tab and uncheck "Show Notification Icon" and "Show Information Window"

I think that will achieve what you seek.

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

jtt 12:34 18 Dec 2006

Simsy - OK, done that, and it no longer appears. It may still be there behind the scenes though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?