AVG download pack needed for pc is this ok ?

joostin 09:14 09 Jun 2009

Friends have said to run AVG on my computeras an alternative to my expired Norton.When i downloaded free version it then said my XP didnt support programme and have to download which looks like Service pack 2 on the AVG site so didnt carry on.
Is this safe to do cos found service pack 2 to slow my pc even more and is AVG safe and or better than Norton ??

FreeCell 10:16 09 Jun 2009

AVG Free is a very good anti-virus that is widely used but it does require SP2 for Windows XP. If downloading it make sure that you use the AVG site click here

Some forum members have found that the latest version (8.5) slows down there PCs and/or have had update issues and so have recommended alternatives. Search on the forums for AVG and you will find the many posts with their suggestions. I use AVG Internet Security (paid for version) on Windows XP with SP2 and have never had any problems, though you have to be a bit patient on start-up, but that's true of most anti-virus programs. I have also installed AVG Free on Windows 7 without problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017