AVG Database is outdated

477vtd 14:29 16 Nov 2008

Hi, Before I start I must tell you I am absolutly useless on computers. My AVG is set to scan at 4am every day. Unusually yesterday morning I went on my pc at about 5am ( the scan was still active at this time). Around lunchtime I again went on the pc and the four AVG coloured squares were covered. I clicked on the update now and the following message came up. :-Anti virus-database is outdated. Anti spyware-database is outdated. Update manager not working. so I pressed scan now. After the scan ( it did say it had found 3 viruses and had removed them. This is unusual As I havn't had any viruses for months) but still the same message appeared. I kept trying to sort it but in the end gave up.
Later I went into my avg virus vault and then realized that when I went on the PC at lunchtime a box appeared that said UPDATE FLASH PLAYER. and I clicked OK. ( I ONLY CLICKED ON IT AS I HAVE BEEN HAVING TROUBLE UPLOADING IMAGES ONTO EBAY TUBO LISTER AND I THOUGHT THIS WAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH IT). The 3 viruses it found were all from that! Also the date had changed on my PC from 15-11-2008 to 15-12-2008. The date had also changed in my AVG scan history. This has never happened before and I have had this PC for about 18 months. I changed the date back to the correct date. This I would think was caused by the "FLASH PLAYER UPDATE"
I got up this morning and every thing is now working OK!.
All I can think is that if you overide the scan schedule it goes wrong until the next scheduled scan. Maybe if you alter the scan schedule it may give you an instant fix. I hope this might be of some help.

477vtd 15:36 16 Nov 2008

Hi, just to add to the above.
My anti virus is AVG 8.0. 175
System :- WINDOWS XP Home Edition version 2002 Service Pack 2 working on a PC connected by broadband

skidzy 18:10 16 Nov 2008

Would this be what AVG found by any chance

Trojan PSW.Generic6.AQPD

If so a simple 16kb definition update sorted this.

477vtd 20:29 16 Nov 2008

Hi skidzy, Thanks for your reply. Yes that is what all 3 are. It might be a simple update to you, but iv'e no idea how to do it. Could you please let me know how to do it . Thankkyou

skidzy 20:56 16 Nov 2008

Just double click the AVG icon in your system tray (bottom right corner of screen) and update.

This is a small glitch from AVG,basically a buggy previous update.Then reboot the computer.

477vtd 22:53 16 Nov 2008

Hi skidzy, Updates done. Thanks very much for your help. My PC has been working at snail pace all day so hopefully it might be a bit quicker now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?