AVG (back door open ?)

dtw 19:50 13 Sep 2007

I have xp pro with avg has my main virus check, but does it stop hackers from the back door, Can I run any other virus check at the same time without it clashing with AVG.
DTW

Technotiger 19:52 13 Sep 2007

You can run Anti-spyware and Ad-Aware and similar, but not another Anti-virus on same pc.

brundle 19:54 13 Sep 2007

You can use a non-resident tool such as ClamWin click here but if you're that worried why not pay for a proven product? click here

Technotiger 19:54 13 Sep 2007

Also make sure you have a good Firewall, especially if on Broadband.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:55 13 Sep 2007

If you have AVG and Spyware terminator (click here + any old firewall, you will have more than enough protection. Unless you are a spook there will be nothing on your computer that will have any interest for hackers.

G

diesel1948 21:06 13 Sep 2007

Sorry for butting in but someone from Belkin support told me that you dont need firewall if you have the Belkin N1 mimo router. It has one built in and nothing can penertrate it. Anyone know about this router? I found it impossible to run on Vista, had to resort to Windows Media for it to work. Diesel1948

wee eddie 21:29 13 Sep 2007

They are probably right in their claim that nothing can penetrate it.

They all stop stuff getting in ~ But don't stop it getting out. You need to monitor Traffic on both directions for proper Security.

dtw 22:35 13 Sep 2007

I think I might have mislead every body.....Wee eddie hit the nail on the head when he wrote "they all stop stuff getting in~but they don't stop getting out. That's what I want, how can I monitor traffic out, hope someone can help with this !!
DTW

Spark6 23:28 13 Sep 2007

Zone Alarm

wee eddie 01:00 14 Sep 2007

Comodo is well spoken of and there a couple of other First Class free ones out there as well.

dtw 08:28 14 Sep 2007

Thanks every body
DTW

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?