AVG Antivirus Free prog

Meshuga 18:30 01 Jan 2007

Does the free version of AVG Antivirus scan incoming mail via OE. Can I download it and save it before installing it so that I can remove Norton AV first? My os is xphome.Thank you.

Simsy 18:34 01 Jan 2007

and Yes.

Regards,

Simsy

Jimmy14 18:35 01 Jan 2007

Can I ask why you want to uninstall Norton?

spuds 18:39 01 Jan 2007

Norton: Not free and uses to many resources!!.

Jimmy14 18:40 01 Jan 2007

I don't want to hijack someone elses intended thread but what I will say is try the new Norton Internet Security 2007 and see if you will still be saying that it takes up too many reources.

ed-0 18:42 01 Jan 2007

Who in their right mind would want to pay for Norton?

Strawballs 18:48 01 Jan 2007

If you re going to remove Norton in favour of AVG then you will need to use this click here= to remove it.

Jimmy14 18:48 01 Jan 2007

I will say it again, I do not want to hijack someone elses intended thread as it is not on why would someone buy Norton. I would be happy to answer your question in a seperate thread.

ed-0 18:56 01 Jan 2007

Then set up a seperate thread on the merits of norton 2007.

On all the laptops and desktops I have setup, It has always been the first thing I have deleted.

Sorry Meshuga

skidzy 18:59 01 Jan 2007

As Simsy says,perfectly ok.

Hi Ed-0

Jimmy14,we have been down this road many times regarding Norton.As most will know,you are the Norton diehard...thats your preference.
However,only yesterday i removed the IS2007 from a system and the owners could not believe the response there system now has while running AVG free ZA firewall.
Admittingly,i did clean up a few other things also.Im not getting into this debate again,but can totally understand why Meshuga would prefer Norton off there system.

p;3 18:59 01 Jan 2007

click here goes to the avg 7.5 which is the newest version; you can download the exe to your downloads folder for later use (that is what I do)

Jimmy14; I would hope that you caN respect the fact that some(many ) of us (me included) do NOT like the norton for many reasons ; we know that you do and that is your choice; can you not respect that fact and not seek to criticise anyone who does not share your apparent thrill and approval of norton?

( I am at present involved with yet another computer than seems to have come acropper due to the Norton )

(of interest, why not check with the FE and have your own separate thread in the speakers corner ON the norton?)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?