AVG Antivirus (free)

bluemoon69 04:13 28 Jan 2008

When i do a scan it keeps coming up with the following and do not know what it is.
Under the headings:
FILE:
hosts

RESULT/INFECTION:
change

PATH:
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

This is not coming up as a threat, so am a bit puzzled.
Anybody have any ideas as i need a little help.
Many thanks.
b69

Taff™ 06:13 28 Jan 2008

Check out your Hosts file click here Read more click here

bluemoon69 07:45 28 Jan 2008

Thanks Taff,
But im not that technical, so dont understand what it says or is all about.
Is this a danger to my computer?
Cheers.
b69

bluemoon69 07:54 28 Jan 2008

Also Taff, the first lead is dead doesnt go anywhere.
cheers

birdface 08:14 28 Jan 2008

Ist click here works Ok for me.Download and run the 2nd one and just do as it says.

birdface 08:21 28 Jan 2008

Once you have changed your Host File I would download Winpatrol it only puts a small Icon on your quick start.And nobody will be able to change your Host file again.Its free.click here

p;3 08:26 28 Jan 2008

if you recognise this link and have knowingly installed this item and have recently updated it?click here

then, as on mine, AVG will recognise it as a 'change'

if this item is unknown to you? then one needs to think again

bluemoon69 08:42 28 Jan 2008

Sorry buteman, but im not all that clued upon this sort of stuff and realy understand what to with HostsXpert doesnt make sense to me also do not know the name of the host site!!
Sorry to be pain if you could explain a bit for me.
Cheers
b69

Technotiger 08:49 28 Jan 2008

You can safely ignore the references to Change. This is quite normal and AVG is already programmed to do the correct thing. You do not have to do anything other than run AVG as normal, or - as in my own case, simply schedule AVG to run full checks at times to suit yourself.

birdface 08:52 28 Jan 2008

Ok.Maybe p;3 has got it right.have you got Spybot search and destroy on your computer.If so you will get that message from AVG once a month.I think Spybot updates it every so often.If that is the case ignore it.And forget about downloading another host file.If you are happy that it is that and you want to shift it.When you have got Test center open press F3 a box will come up asking you to accept changes,Just press yes and that stops it showing.

bluemoon69 10:33 28 Jan 2008

Sorry everybody but i do not know what this host is! How do i find out and buteman no i do not have spybot, i have the following:
AVG (free)
SAS
SPYWARE TERMINATOR
AD-AWARE
CCLEANER
Cheers, b69

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?