avg antivirus free

murphyman 00:35 24 Mar 2006

hi everyone, my norton systemworks2005 is nearly up for renewel, i know know this subject has been done to death, but, is avg free as good as norton? i run xp 512mb ram sp2
ad-aware free
ewido trial
spybot search and destroy
windows defender
zone alarm free
trend micro antispyware 3.0
spywareblaster
spywareguard
i would appreciate your comments, as you have been lifesavers to me in the past on this forum

phil46 00:40 24 Mar 2006

I use AVG plus Firewall not free but you can download the free version and give it a try,I can't fault this AVG product in anyway plus you get 2 years of updates if you purchase the full version.

Gandalph 01:55 24 Mar 2006

Why not give the free version of Avast anti-virus a try. I've been using it for about two and a half years and never had any problems with it so far. It updates automatically so you don't have that to worry about.

I can also recommend a-squared, Spybot search and destroy, and Adware SE. They have all served me well during the time I have been using them.

spuds 10:15 24 Mar 2006

I use AVG on one computer and Avast on another (do not use two on the same computer), and both give very good results, especially as they are free versions with regular updates.

I notice that you have the usual highly recommended 'Antis'on your system, but always remember, the more that you add may never bring a 100% solution. What one finds another may not, which may lead to a case of paranoia. One of the programmes that I use Windows Defender beta1 now beta2 have in both cases never found anything on my computers, yet other programmes have had all the flashing lights and sirens blasting away. Use these programmes in moderation and all should be fine!.

Would mention that Norton can be a resources hogging programme, and for this reason, plus the payment for using it, have made some people change to AVG or Avast.

Minxster 10:18 24 Mar 2006

I was advised to use AVG on my new computer from the chap who makes up all our systems at work - never found a problem at work or here.

vinnyT 11:59 24 Mar 2006

This months PCA gives AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic 6.32 (free), a better rating than either AVG or Avast. You can get it from click here

Can't comment personally on this, as I use Avast on my pc and am happy with it.

JayDay 12:29 24 Mar 2006

AntiVir free seems very basic, you have to pay for the premium version to get what Avast offers for free. eg POP3 email scanning, scan folders.

I use Avast and never had a complaint. I did try AVG but found setting up email scanning fiddly and the auto update of virus definitions wasn't as easy as Avast.

Try them both see which one you are most happy with.

ACOLYTE 12:40 24 Mar 2006

I used AVG for a number of years,and found it to be a good program,i never found the email scanner hard to set up AVG did it itself,others were not so lucky and did have teething troubles with it, but i found it is a very good AV program.
At the minute i am using Avast and i have to say that it offers a lot more choices than AVG in regards to the kind of protection offered,it has audible updates and virus alerts,these can be turned off, it also adds P2P scanning,web page scanning,instant message scanning,email scanning as well as some other things,i am sure AVG does this too,but it doesn't give you the interface to interact with it like Avast does,I'm quite impressed with Avast and would recommend it to anyone as an AV,but remember the app is only as good as its definition's so whatever one you choose remember to keep it up to date.

Tick Tock 1 19:40 24 Mar 2006

Just switched to avg free yesterday and today had a large update are the updates quite large as a rule.

Totally-braindead 19:52 24 Mar 2006

You should start your own thread really Tick Tock 1 but the answer is no, in general the updates are quite small typically about 50k or so, the reason the updates you have now are so large is it has to download a couple of months of updates.

Tick Tock 1 20:28 24 Mar 2006

Thanks for that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?