Avg antivirus, cannot open files.

rovaman 15:35 01 Mar 2003

I have recently downloaded AVG anti virus,the free edition onto my xp home system, and have just noted that after running a complete scan,if i click on "detail info" on the test results page,all files in boot C have the message "cannot open,unchecked!". Has anyone else had this problem?.

Border View 16:35 01 Mar 2003

Refresh

rovaman 11:28 02 Mar 2003

not sure what you mean by refresh as there is no refresh button available on the AVG control centre screen.I should have mentioned that i have uninstalled and reinstalled this programme about 5 times now as i suspected a fault in the download process,but to no avail!.

-pops- 11:36 02 Mar 2003

Refresh means to bring the message to the top again before it disappears into oblivion off the bottom of the page.

I cannot answer your question but I would just be thankful that AVG has found these things. I would be very careful about opening them - you don't know what horrors might be released into you machine.

Brian

SSC 00:00 03 Mar 2003

I run AVG and have noticed a similar problem with it being unable to scan the c/documents and settings folders. I have not found a solution to run the scan automatically. What I now do is to go to the unscanned folders and right click, selecting 'scan with AVG option. I have never found any viruses in the unscanned folder, so its not refusing to scan those folders due to something nasty lurking. I presume it is some program quirk or something to do wuth the folder properties that I haven't sussed.

This has only started happening since I have XP. Previous computer with Win 98 worked fine.

I have tried deleting and re-installing AVG with no change.

Bagsey 09:04 03 Mar 2003

Yes I have the same messages but it still finds the nasties. two this week. Patch.exe ????
So thank goodnes for AVG. I to am running XP Home

rovaman 21:18 03 Mar 2003

thanks to everyone for your advice,and SSC,good idea to manually run AVG on c;\ files ifeel a bit more secure now.I,ll leave this thread open a few days in case any more folks have any input. CHEERS!.

Paul.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?