AVG antispyware can't quarantine

cowgirl66 10:06 10 Nov 2006

I have AVG 7.5 antispyware. I've changed the default settings from "delete" to "quarantine", but every time I run a scan, the recommended action shows up as "delete" again. Even when I right click on the malware (tracking cookies in my case) to choose quarantine from the drop-down menu, this option is greyed out. At the bottom of the scan screen, if you're familiar with it, it says about the recommended settings, which reads as quarantine. Why is this so? Adaware and most other antispywares allow the user to quarantine if they want to.

A puzzled cowgirl66

cowgirl66 10:08 10 Nov 2006

I can see that I've not made this clear! The recommended actions against the individual tracking cookie file is "delete", whereas at the bottom of the scan screen the "set recommended action to" option is "quarantine".

Is this any clearer?

Totally-braindead 10:46 10 Nov 2006

Its clear cowgirl66 but I've never tried this. In 3 years of using AVG I have always gone with the recommended action and have never tried to alter it so I cannot advise on this. Is there an APPLY button or something perhaps?

Input Overload 11:25 10 Nov 2006

I tried this here with Anti-Spyware, but as it didn't find any problems I wasn't able to replicate the issue. Maybe the action depends on the type of file flagged. I'll keep an eye out for future scans girl66.

cowgirl66 15:42 10 Nov 2006

Sorry for the absence but had to go out for a while...

When you asked about the Apply button, braindead, I went into the settings again to check for such a button. I also checked the resident shield (which I'm not using due to possible conflict etc) and notice that the resident shield, if in use, automatically deletes tracking cookies.

Thus I think I have we have found the answer. Quarantining is not an option for cookies. It is delete, or ignore.

Thanks though, and to you, Overload.

Regards cowgirl66

Totally-braindead 15:46 10 Nov 2006

Actually cowgirl66 I owe you a bit of an apology. I have indeed been using AVG for 3 years but only the anti virus. I failed to notice you were refering to the antispyware program they bought recently though I also use that.
I misread the posting. Sorry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?