AVG AntiSpyware 7.5

Stuartli 16:18 07 Dec 2006

I installed this AVG offering yesterday and it works fine on my system.

Decided to install it on my best mate's business system today but, unfortunately, it locks the system up within a couple of seconds of setting it to do a scan (had been fully updated first).

Tried re-downloading and installing three times without success from two different sources...:-(

Has anyone else come across the same problem? If so I'd be pleased to learn of any successful conclusion.

Belatucadrus 17:04 07 Dec 2006

I had a few issues with the live protection failing to start properly, which is apparently an issue they couldn't fix as Grisoft had yet to replicate it. Then the trial period ended and a lot of good features expired. I took it off and installed Spyware Terminator click here easily my favourite Anti Spyware freebie on offer at the moment.

Stuartli 17:14 07 Dec 2006

That's for the link - I'll try it on his system on Saturday...:-)

[email protected] 18:17 07 Dec 2006

i assume you dont have mcafee site advisor, not too keen on that site, thought you should know

Stuartli 19:26 07 Dec 2006

I've had another look and the downloads tested by McAfee are all green and free of ads etc.

Stuartli 08:54 08 Dec 2006

Also see:

click here

Belatucadrus 10:59 08 Dec 2006

Actually I do have Site Advisor and have checked out the site using it and at Spyware Warrior, where it now gets a clean bill of health. Spyware Terminator is a good program with a range of features not found in the competition, it's free of adware, there's no nagging to buy a pro version and Crawler don't spam you. While I understand your reservations based on the Ibis history, I don't think it's applicable any longer and am still quite happy to recommend what is proving to be a good product on my PC.

rawprawn 11:13 08 Dec 2006

What are your views on the "Clam AntiVirus" option? I know it is not wise to run 2 AV's, but for example PrevX causes no problems. I am quite impressed by the program, and I just wondered if the AV could be run in conjunction with another. (I run F-Secure Security Suite 2006)

Stuartli 11:44 08 Dec 2006

Installed Spyware Terminator about an hour ago from Softpedia.

Seems to work exactly as it states on the tin...:-)

Belatucadrus 12:51 08 Dec 2006

Clam Anti Virus is just a scanner, having no real time or mail coverage, so it "should" be OK with whatever primary AV software is already installed. I have tested it, but found the scan very slow, it's also open source which means on the plus side it's free to all users, on the down side it's not got a sound financial backing, or a full time professional team sorting necessary signature updates.
I count it as an interesting project, perhaps OK as a double check of one of the usual recommendations, but no more.

rawprawn 12:57 08 Dec 2006

Thank you, I really have no need of it but I was interested to hear your view.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?