AVG ANTI-VIRUS

Toria 11:54 13 Oct 2007

I would like some advice regarding AVG. I also up until now have purchased NORTON, but found I could download AVG for free, is that sufficient security, or do I need to purchase for the full package, or is there anything I can download to protect my computer, without have to make an annual payment?

spuds 12:13 13 Oct 2007

No need to make any payments, when either AVG, Avast or Comodo will do the job superbly. Use only one of the products, using two or more will cause conflicting problems.

I use AVG on one computer, Avast on another, but Comodo as some very good review results of late. I am due to get another computer soon, so perhaps Comodo might end up on that. I just love experimenting with software products ;o)

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:18 13 Oct 2007

Download AVG, Spyware Terminator click here and any old free firewall and you will have more than enough protection which will all be free.
There is NEVER any need for a home user to pay for protection.

G

Squirrel1 12:28 13 Oct 2007

I have on two machines, at home and one at work, that have AVG installed.
This takes care of the anti virus, but you still need a 'Firewall'. Here you have two choices. Use the existing Windows firewall, or download and install PC Tools Firewall Plus, which is also free.
To sum up: Download AVG free and PC Tools Firewall Plus, Install them and get on with using your computer!
PS: Dont forget Spyware Doctor, also free from PC Tools.

mfletch 15:57 13 Oct 2007

Hi another good program is SpywareBlaster,

click here

Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted software.
Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox.
Restrict the actions of potentially unwanted sites in Internet Explorer.

SpywareBlaster can help keep your system spyware-free and secure, without interfering with the "good side" of the web.

And unlike other programs, SpywareBlaster does not have to remain running in the background.

mfletch

Toria 20:22 13 Oct 2007

Can you please tell me how to remove the following have downloaded Spyware Terminator, it does not remove this and still shows up as critical.

crazychris 21:01 13 Oct 2007

AVG is sufficient, runs every day on my PC and removes any threats. Bought Norton and it made my PC run at a snails pace. Luckily PC World took it back and refunded me.

Migwell 06:39 14 Oct 2007

The last place I would install Norton anything! Is on my computer!!
AVG and Zone alarm are what keeps me out of trouble, and both are free.

mfletch 10:14 14 Oct 2007

Toria, I think you will have to use SmitfraudFix to remove this problem,

Please read and print out the instructions,

click here

mfletch

Toria 22:44 23 Oct 2007

I have downloaded PC Firewall Plus, as mentioned by Squirrel1 and Spyware Doctor, but when I do a scan with Spyware Doctor and click fix items, it always comes up asking me to register? But I thought this was Free like PC Firewall Plus - if not, shall I uninstall, I do have on my computer Spybot Search and Destroy and Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal - is that sufficent? Or is there another programme I can use, and just have one on my computer that is free?

skidzy 22:49 23 Oct 2007

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?