AVG anti virus

Bald Eagle 22:21 17 Dec 2006

Twice now I’ve had a splash screen come up saying that by mid January my version of AVG will become unsupported. I followed the link on the screen and had two attempts at downloading the AVG on the page I reached. Neither worked and I saw it was the professional version! I found the free version via Google and have just downloaded it.

On my desktop is an icon “avg75free432a_861". Double clicking this flashes up a small splash screen that disappears too quickly to read. It’s properties say it is 16.8 MB in size, exactly as described on the download page.

In MY DOCUMENTS I have “AVG Free Advisor Installation files and documentation MHTML document”. Clicking on this tries to dial up the internet.

What am I doing wrong? I am getting fed up with downloading these large files using dialup even though I use Fresh Download.

skidzy 22:25 17 Dec 2006

Remove everything to do with AVG via add and remove programs,run ccleaner click here and download from here click here

Sorry may take a while on dialup.

p;3 23:13 17 Dec 2006

may I suggest you create a downloads folder in my documents ( that is what i have done); then , when you are asked to save the exe you can save it in the downloads folder; there it can sit until you are ready to open and install it; as also said, on dial up the download may take some time.(believe me I have sat with a pc on dial up and it took a bit of time!!).so time for a cuppa perhaps?

skidzy 23:17 17 Dec 2006

Just one cuppa ? :-)))

p;3 23:43 17 Dec 2006

I have not specified the size of the cuppa have I::))

dial up does take a wee bit more time than BB; do I know so...from bitter experience

one tends to forget on bb just how ssslllooowww dial up is

bb just zips through it at a rate of knots

dial up

just sits there..and sits there and

tea time anyone?

skidzy 23:51 17 Dec 2006

And then times out and lose the blooming download p;3

Hope Bald eagle manages to get the downloads ok.

He could always ask a friend on broadband to d/l the files and save them for him i suppose.

p;3 23:57 17 Dec 2006

actually; that is not such a silly idea is it? as it does take its time ON dial up; and maybe get all the updates on a cd? or a similar ap?

Migwell 00:06 18 Dec 2006

If you sign up for talktalk you can have BB for free like me, and be able to phone most of the European countrys and USA also Australia for anything up to 70 minutes for free.

Then you would be able to download those big files in double quick time. lol

lotvic 01:55 18 Dec 2006

I would try doing it from Start > Run > Browse (navigate to) > avg75free_432a861.exe (on your desktop) > open > and then click on OK in the Run Box.

(from AVG website click here ) this is how to install the update to new version.
avg75free_432a861.exe
Update of AVG 7.1 to 7.5

1. Run the AVG Free Edition 7.5 Setup program
2. Click "Next >" on the AVG "Welcome!" screen
3. Click "Accept" on the "License Agreement on Use of an AVG Free Edition" screen
4. Select "Repair installation" on the "Select Setup Type" screen and click "Next >"
5. Select "Restart the computer now" (pre-selected by the program automatically) and click "OK" on the "Installation Complete!" screen to restart your computer and complete the installation

NB: It is a good idea to make the Downloads folder as has been suggested. Also I would make a copy your download of AVG so that you have 'a spare'
I would also move your downloaded avg.exe (before you install) to the new folder so that it is not cluttering up your desktop.

lotvic 02:13 18 Dec 2006

Forgot to say:
Before you start the update to new version, stop AVG from running.
Right click the icon in System Tray near clock > Quit AVG Control Centre > click on Yes

(Obviously you do all this whilst offline - connect up again for the updates)

Bald Eagle 09:53 18 Dec 2006

Thanks for all the info folk, it takes a pot of tea actually! Will do as you suggest and save to a Downloads folder.

BE

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?