AVG anomaly again,,,

Furkin 08:26 18 Mar 2010

ACER T120 Desktop – Xp.pro – SP3 – IE8 – OE6 – 2Gb (max) Ram

Yesterday I got a pop-up from AVG inviting me to update my program. As usual I clicked Yes & went about my work.

It soon became apparent that I had a problem. About 2 thirds of my family e-mail addresses stopped working along with most targets in my google searches (including this one). I got an error message saying: :::A time-out occurred while communicating with the server. Account: 'S-Alpha', Server: 'pop.supanet.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19:::
I dropped Supanet a line – but didn’t expect a reply for the usual 3 or 4 days,,,, but within about 30 mins, I had a reply,,, possibly that quick as they were passing the buck (rightly in this instance !).

They said that the problem was down to my AV program & to contact them. The first thing I did was check which version I had & was annoyed that the up-date had actually put version 9 onto my machine.

One of the few www sites that I could get on was AVG Forums – so I looked there for help. In the end I disabled my Link Scanner,,, but to noah vale.

In the end, I wanted to uninstall v9 & re install v8.5, but was worried about being unprotected whilst doing so & wanted to know if I could just download v8.5 & hope that it would take over v9, but no. It came up with (para) “you already have AVG on your machine, this install will stop” – so that was that. In the end. I took off v9 via ‘Add/Remove progs’ & re installed a new 8.5.
Everything is now a sweet as a sweet thing.
The trouble is, at some point, I will NEED to update to later versions,,,,,,, so is there a fool proof way of installing v9 (which I imagine will be v10 etc soon) ?

Cheers all

Andsome 08:31 18 Mar 2010

I see so many problems on this and other forums, that I question the use of AVG. I never get problems with Eset Nod 32 security suite.

birdface 08:37 18 Mar 2010

From yesterday.

click here

So looks like there were problems.

Updated my Daughters AVG yesterday and never found any problems but then maybe I was not on it long enough.

birdface 08:40 18 Mar 2010

I just installed it over the top of 8.5 but maybe a system restore to before you updated might be best.Then update to version 9.
The new version automatically removes the old version so you should be fine.

Furkin 09:57 18 Mar 2010

BM: My new install wouldn't remove the existing. Maybe it's cos I was going backwards (9 to 8) rather that 8 up to 9.

I think i'll be sticking to 8.5 till 10 comes out, & just hope that they have sorted it out by then.

I must say that I am a little surprised that it hasn't been sorted by now. I guess it's cos it only effects some machines and not others.

Good luck to the rest of you

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?