AVG 9 Firewall

donki 20:46 02 Dec 2009

Does anyone have problems with AVG 9 blocking things it shouldnt i.e Java chat, iPhone remote? Its got to the point where I have tried everyway to allow them through unsuccessfully that I have disabled the AVGs firewall and just enabled WIN7's. Will this give me suffient protection or should I switch to a different free program?

grey george 21:14 02 Dec 2009

I switched to Microsoft security essentials a few months ago and now use it on all my machines at home and at work. I use it with comodo firewall and zone alarm on different set ups, AVG really seem to fallen by the way side from a usability point of view.

donki 22:06 02 Dec 2009

Thanks I have binned AVG and went with MS, do i really need Zone Alarm or is the Win Firewall good enough?

grey george 20:21 03 Dec 2009

Many say the windows firewall is good enough. If your just using the machine for general browseing or games I'd agree. If I was using it for financial transactions I would go for the belt and braces approach.

peter99co 20:34 03 Dec 2009

If you operate though a router some have double firewalls I understand.

stlucia 08:01 04 Dec 2009

I've had AVG 9 for a few weeks now (with XP) and it's performed just like it always has -- i.e. quietly, in the background, with a scheduled scan every day.

My firewall is Comodo.

donki 10:19 04 Dec 2009

I agree with you totally, I had AVG on XP for nearly 5 years and loved it but it was interferring with too many of my programs on WIN 7. I did try online tutorials to try and allow them but to be honest I couldnt be bothered.

Thanks guys for all your help, I have a router on my firwall also so I think I will go with what I have at the minute. I have also noticed my internet alot more responsive than it was when gaurded by AVG.

birdface 10:35 04 Dec 2009

I had the trial version of AVG security Suite and I could not get on very well with the Firewall at all.
I ended up turning the Firewall off and using windows Firewall.
When the months trial was up I removed it completely.
I have now downloaded AVG Pro and using that with no problems on Windows7.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?