AVG 8.5 and Yahoo

muddypaws 17:46 17 Oct 2009
Answered

XP Home SP3. AVG 8.5 Browser Firefox/Google
When I open a new tab in FF and search in the top most address bar the results now always show in the AVG powered by Yahoo screen which I don't want.
I have disabled the AVG tool bar in 'View' so I don't now have that, and uninstalled Yahoo toolbar from add/remove, but nothing changes.
It has only recently started doing this.
Any suggestions as to how I can get rid of it and revert to the Google results.
No options in AVG that I can see.
Thanks.

muddypaws 16:07 18 Oct 2009

Any help would be appreciated.

Bapou 23:01 18 Oct 2009

Check out the advice: click here
item 2307, to repair AVG.

Hopefully this may help your problem.

Bapou 23:08 18 Oct 2009

On reflection, may be it would be more beneficial to remove AVG completely. By this I mean after using Add/Remove rid your registry of any files left behind with the help of CCleaner.

Following this, reinstall AVG and when prompted prevent the AVG Security toolbar, which includes Yahoo, from being installed.

muddypaws 09:25 19 Oct 2009

Bapou

Thanks for responding.
I have un-installed 8.5 using Revo's deepest scan and re-installed AVG which is now v.9.
De-selected safe search and yahoo when installing and the situation is unchanged.
It is obviously one of those items that AVG insist on you having in the free version.
It would be interesting to know if other people have the same result when openimg a new tab in FF.
Meanwhile I will also try the AVG forums.
Thanks.

muddypaws 09:28 19 Oct 2009
Answer

The only way round it is to open a new tab and then search in the engine options to the right of the address bar.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?