AVG 8.5 say virus vault has reached max file count

six-h 16:47 26 Jun 2009

Just reviewing today's system initiated scan and the above message appeared.
I couldn't get rid of it so had to accept deletion of 124 tracking cookies, leaving me with 49 other cookies marked as "potentially dangerous" objects.
Virus vault contains stuff from 28 Jan 09 upto 18 May, though I've run scans many times since then.
Is it safe to now delete say, all but the last month of entries?

Rahere 16:49 26 Jun 2009

yes you can delete these

six-h 16:53 26 Jun 2009

"quite viruses"??
Rahere, I've had no option but to delete the 124 cookies from todays scan, my question is; regarding the contents of the virus vault.
I'm not sure what the proceedure should be, I feel that "Empty Vault" might be a bit drastic, so maybe selective deletion of all bu the last month's worth of captives is OK.
Should one conduct some kind of housekeeping of the Virus Vault on a regular basis??

six-h 16:59 26 Jun 2009

Point being, I've no means of evaluating which items it's safe to delete.
I can only assume that since my system has lived without the earlier captives from end Jan to say mid April, they won't be missed :-)
What's the concensus??

T I M B O 17:06 26 Jun 2009

if they r in the vault, then u not been able to use them anyways, so get rid of all is ok.....

Rahere 17:09 26 Jun 2009

Very sorry I meant cookies are not quite viruses. They can be malicious but not in the same league as malware programs like trojans, viruses etc.

yes you can delete the lot.

six-h 17:10 26 Jun 2009

Thanks T I M B O,
Just in case, I'll leave a few of the most recent captives!
Is this a normal, regular chore??

six-h 17:17 26 Jun 2009

Thanks Rahere, I've no idea what the various buttons should be used for in AVG,("Remove Unhealed" and "Remove Selected") so I usually just leave 'em alone!

T I M B O 17:20 26 Jun 2009

i use ccleaner to tidy up after me >> click here

six-h 17:23 26 Jun 2009

T I M B O, Yeah, it seems to be highly regarded on PCA, Truth is I'm a bit scared of it, it sounds quite savage and I fear In my hands, it might upset my system!

march 20:25 26 Jun 2009

six-h

take a look at these sites they will help you understand ccleaner I was like you really wary of using it but it very safe

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?