AVG 8 & Zonealarm Trojan horse Agent_r.CX

PalaeoBill 00:41 14 Oct 2008

The free version of AVG 8 just started throwing up warnings about "Trojan horse Agent_r.CX" in several of my ZoneAlarm free version .DLL's.

I have uninstalled both. Re-installed AVG, run a full scan and downloaded the Zonealarm setup executable direct from CheckPoint (but not run it).

AVG gives the same warnings on 5 of the DLL's within the Zonealarm setup executable (zaSWITCH_Setup_en.exe).

Got nothing coming up under Google
Any ideas anyone?

T I M B O 00:47 14 Oct 2008

Run click here

Run click here

Normally malwarebytes is best run in safe mode & here is why >> click here

brundle 01:21 14 Oct 2008

You're not alone. Wait for the next AVG update.
click here=

PalaeoBill 01:35 14 Oct 2008

Thanks brundle, I had just about worked that out as my other PC has just updated its AVG and is now doing the same. Nice to have your confirmation though.

Thanks too TIMBO, I have just run Malwarebytes on my main PC in safemode and it found no errors. So looks to be an AVG problem.

PalaeoBill 08:43 14 Oct 2008

Temporary work around for XP if anyone is interested:

In AVG:
Double-Click "Resident shield" and select "Manage exceptions".
Click "Add Path" and add "C:\windows\system32\ZoneLabs" to it (or whatever path takes you to windows\system32).
Click "ok" and then "Save changes".

TopCat® 13:16 14 Oct 2008

that come up here with the answers. My main computer had exactly the same AVG problem this morning and I began blaming my young grandson for visiting some dodgy websites! All is now forgiven!

It's just as well I kept this old second computer as I was able to get online and find the workaround that PalaeoBill thankfully gave us. AVG auto updated on this PC as well so the temporary fix will be applied. Thanks again, guys. TC.

setecio 14:28 14 Oct 2008

Bookmarked

hybucket 15:09 14 Oct 2008

Just found this forum on a google search -thanks - saves me considerable time with this silly problem. This is the third time ASG has caused something like this. I'm thinking of changing to Avast - anyone have better luck with them as a free service?

PalaeoBill 22:08 15 Oct 2008

I use Avast on my laptop as it supports imap over thunderbird and I need that for my University e-mail.
It works just fine and I have had no problems with it in terms of infections or of it clashing with any other software.
I just find its user interface a tad fiddly and prefer AVG's, although like you I am beginning to tire of AVG's idiosyncrasies. Just keep reminding yourself that its free and its never let you down as an AV.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?