AVG 8 Search shield

muddypaws 21:49 02 May 2008

Can anyone tell me what the icon is that is supposed to be displayed alongside the search links in Google. Mine is turned on, but nothing shows.
I installed 8 two days ago so a browser restart has obviously taken place.
Thanks.

Halmer 22:12 02 May 2008

then it changes to a white tick on a green background.

birdface 00:22 03 May 2008

I think it is the Link Scanner that you are talking about.If it is a good link a white tick on a green background shows.Different colors for bad sites.

muddypaws 08:48 03 May 2008

Halmer/ buteman

Thanks.
I thought it may have been clashing with McAfee site advisor that has the green tick so un-installed that one. But still nothing in IE7/ Google from AVG.
Have put McA back.

birdface 09:52 03 May 2008

On your AVG quick start Icon does it show red or is it clear.Ive actually turned my link scanner off.As there is a bit of a clash with McAfee, McAfee will tell you it's a bad site and Avg says its a good site and vice versa.Also AVG takes to long to work out if its a bad site or not with all the circles turning over all the time until it finds out.I find it uses up your CPU and also makes McAfee S/A do the same so a bit of a clash between the two of them.Now what one is gives the best protection I do not know.But I will stick with the one that I know.No idea why it is not working on your computer unless maybe your Firewall is preventing it from running.

Batch 09:53 09 May 2008

I turned off the AVG Link Scanner (disabled the IE plugin - couldn't find any other way to do it).

Not only is it hogging CPU, but also b/band bandwidth. The time Site Advisor takes to download info. is negligible, but I can see that Link Scanner is downloading for many many seconds after the Google page has loaded.

Batch 09:55 09 May 2008

Spoke too soon - found an option in AVG!

Batch 09:58 09 May 2008

Ah! but that now means that AVG gives me a warning that something is in a fault state. So back to disabling the IE plugin.

birdface 10:41 09 May 2008

Hi.Try Tools Advanced settings in AVG.Right click link scanner and make sure AVG search shield is enabled.Apply ok. see if that works.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?