The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress
Followed Buteman's link in a previous entry to get "Free upgrade to AVG 8". I downloaded it fine but when I got to the screen where it asked for a licence number it would not accept the existing licence number of my AVG 7.5 free version.
I see from previous threads that there may be a conventional wisdom of "wait and see" how AVG 8.0 develops. Is this correct?
It also looks as though most PC Advisor members who use AVG 7.5 Free don't want to pay the £39 for the "paid for" version of AVG 8, so are we all stuck now, not being able to provide a licence number on the Installation process?
And does anyone know if we can carry on using 7.5 or are AVG about to terminate it?
Any thoughts gratefully received?
Are you sure you have downloaded and installed the free version? First column and link to download at the botom click here I upgraded AVG last week without any problems. Isn`t there an option during the install which has the option to "Use Free Version". (Can`t quite remember myself)
click here for the AVG Installation Guide. For the free version the Licence key is already inserted.
Hi.Sorry if I gave you the wrong link,But should have clicked on free version.But to be honest I would stay with the 7.5 version at the moment AVG 8 still has a few problems.I am not that keen on the new version.To many other things added on to it which makes my computer run a bit slower.Just that I have an oldish computer that needs upgrading.if you have a modern computer it should be fine for you.
Unlike buteman I prefer AVG8, but the advertising tht AVG has indulged in has been misleading (many of my friends thought that AVG would no longer be free) and the links they have provided have confused people.
Here is the advice that i've now given to all my friends who use AVG 7.5 It seemks a bit long-winded but it works.
· do not use the link in the advert;
· do not delete your present v. 7.5 - that will be done automatically when you have installed v.8.0;
· instead go to click here
· when that window opens scroll down and click on the "Get it Now" bar in the left hand half of the page;
· at the next window there is a list of AVG features and 3 columns with ticks. The Free version is the left-hand column (with few ticks!). Scroll to the bottom of the columns & at the bottom of the Free column click on the blue text saying "Continue to AVG Free download";
· at the next window click on the bar saying "continue to AVG Free Download" - it's at the bottom on the right-hand side. Ignore the text about Internet Security at the bottom of the left hand side;
· at the next window do NOT click the bar saying "Download AVG Free 8.0"; instead click on the blue text 2 lines lower down that says "Download AVG Free 8.0 (AVG Server);
· you're at the moment of download at last - I favour clicking "Save" rather than "Run" and I save it to the Desktop. This means the program will be put on your desktop and you then need to double click the icon to open/"Run" and install it.
After all that is finished you'll find that there is a new AVG icon on your desktop and the old one has disappeared.
thanks palinka for your excellent guide, I have saved it for my future use, cheers :)
avg7.5 will update till , as far as we know, dec 2008
as many are experiencing intense difficulties with the even FREE AVG antivirus 8.0 ( self included) you may wish to consider an alternative av compatible with your windows version
I think you should be made aware that the new version of AVG free (8.0) is going through an initial period of difficulty.
These pages will explain:
Very many thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I'm most grateful.
I will keep Palinka's wonderful set of instructions and wait until 'AVG 8 Free' settles down before loading it. It would not be sensible to ignore the words of caution from several of the contributors above, so I will wait.
Whilst you`re waiting try Avast Home Edition Free click here You need to register it but many other forum users recommend it. (Including myself)
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.