AVG 8 Free Antivirus

manrow 10:35 10 Mar 2009

I have been using this anti-virus program for some time and it seems to work well.

However I notice that after today's scan it listed 30 cookies, all apparently tracking cookies. In the 'Scan Results' column it showed them all moved to the virus vault. When I select the 'Virus Vault' it shows only 2 cookies in there both for Yieldmanager, which have now gone as I hit the 'Empty Vault' key.

So 2 questions!

1. Why do the other cookies not appear in the vault?

2. Since the other cookies are supposedly transferred to the vault, does that mean they can no longer cause any harm? Hence no need to worry about their deletion?

johndrew 12:00 10 Mar 2009

Tracking cookies are pretty much a part of using the internet and are low risk. It could be the cookies are similar and AVG treats them as such; hence it recognises the type not the number.

If you really feel worried abot them you can set your browser to delete them on closing. Personally I allow the browser defaults to deal with them.

birdface 12:39 10 Mar 2009

click here worth a look.
Maybe try running Malwarebytes free and see if it picks up anything.

manrow 07:34 28 Mar 2009

Just as a matter of interest can anyone answer my earlier question:-

Since the other cookies are supposedly transferred to the vault, does that mean they can no longer cause any harm? Hence no need to worry about their deletion?

johndrew 11:14 28 Mar 2009

Anything in the Virus Vault is not functional; this is the purpose of the area. If it really worries you then empty the Vault and delete them.

birdface 09:53 29 Mar 2009

Probably a variation of the same cookies.It sometimes shows the cookies with a plus sign beside them telling you where they all are on your computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?