AVG 7.1 - 7.5

The Brown Rock 23:54 03 Dec 2006

With the recommendation of thia forum I have AVG Free installed for a year now and delighted to have it. I'm running Windows `98 and downloaded version 7.5 from `Grisoft` as prompted which took 2.1/2 hours on my `dialup` When it came to installation I received a weird noise with a flag that stated `Unsuccessful`? Is there anything more frustrating I ask? Has anyone got information on what to do now as I don't want a repeat of that noise, and in any event the suspense would kill me
The Brown Rock

Stuartli 23:56 03 Dec 2006

Do you have any friends with a BB connection who could download AVG and burn it to disk or put it on a memory card?

Even better get BB as it's as cheap as dialup these days...:-)

GANDALF <|:-)> 08:08 04 Dec 2006

If you want a copy on CD mail me.

G

Technotiger 08:21 04 Dec 2006

AVG 7.5 is on the PCA December 2006 Magazine cover disk - or at least it is on the DVD Issue, so I guess it is also on the CD Issue.

The Brown Rock 00:30 05 Dec 2006

I neglected to say that I lived in Ireland and do not have a BB to connect to just yet - and not as cheap as dialup where it is possible to connect - depending on use of course. As it happens I have the (DEC) DVD version of PCA but at a glace I don't see AVG FREE on it? I have to be careful with downloads with only 10GB's of HDD now 6 years running.
I can't complain I got it from The National Council for the Blind of Ireland!
I think the forum here is just great with many problems solved in the past. If as `Technotiger` says, it is on the cover disk - then I'm in business
Thanks to all
The Brown Rock

vinnyT 13:39 05 Dec 2006

Hi, TBR, on the cd it is under -features -security.

However, it is the 7.1 version, not 7.5 (maybe the 7.5 version is on the dvd, but I don't see why they would put an old version on the cd and the new on the dvd, that would make no sense).

If you can get to a library, they prob have BB and will dload avg for you, prob for a small fee).

Hope this helps.

Technotiger 14:09 05 Dec 2006

On the dvd it says 7.3!

The Brown Rock 23:52 05 Dec 2006

Grisoft states that the 7.1 version will be discontinued in January. I checked PCA mag and there is nothing in the text that I could find that indicates that they have included the 7.5 version. I contacted Grisoft technical people but due to a very high demand on their product there is a delay in answering queries. If I could be certain that I could successfully install the new version I would have another go at the 2.1/2 hour download; but of course the disk would be a better option.
Thanks again for your suggestions.
The Brown Rock

Technotiger 00:48 06 Dec 2006

The latest version *will* still be available as a Free download after 7.1 is discontinued.

The Brown Rock 01:25 04 Jan 2007

Ihave made a second attempt at downloading and installing the 7.5 upgrade withhout success. the following details of the failure are as follows:
Local machine installation failed.
Installation
Error: Action failed for file avgctrl.dll: erasing file. Permission denied.
Warning: Action failed for file avgctrl.dll: creating backup. Access is denied. (5)%DESTINATION% = "C\Program Files\Grisoft\AVGFree\avgctrl.dll:installation_ backup" %SOURCE% ="C\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgctrl.dll:
Rollback:
Error: Action failed for file avgctrl. dll: Removing file.
Access is denied. (5)%PATH% ="C\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Free\avgctrl.dll"
If I don't get over this hurdle soon I will be in serious trouble as time is running out. Can someone give me the answer to this problem? I have run the 7.1 version withour a hitch. I have requested help from `Grisoft` without reply - were extremely busy due to the demand for their product. I have had everything solved by this forum up to now - I'm very confident.
The Brown Rock

robgf 01:47 04 Jan 2007

Hi,
Are you doing a repair install, as you alreay have 7.1 installed?
Update of AVG 7.1 to 7.5

Run the AVG Free Edition 7.5 Setup program
Click "Next >" on the AVG "Welcome!" screen
Click "Accept" on the "License Agreement on Use of an AVG Free Edition" screen
Select "Repair installation" on the "Select Setup Type" screen and click "Next >"
Select "Restart the computer now" (pre-selected by the program automatically) and click "OK" on the "Installation Complete!" screen to restart your computer and complete the installation

Rob. :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017