AVG ??????

WallyD 14:56 07 Mar 2007

I,ve used AVG for ages without any trouble but now I THINK I may have a problem. I'm running COMODO firewall and although I give AVG permission to got to the Net another window comes up asking for AVG used as server and a large cross is in the Comodo box saying this could be a means of illegal entry. I answer no to this and I cant then get my email but I'm OK on the internet. I'm puzzled ! Do I have a virus ?
Before I reloaded AVG it would come up after a few minutes saying I had no email scan protection and the AVG Icon would go all black.
I'm running WIN xp pro and I,m on broadband.
ps Once I gave this permission for AVGE --- and comodo went very active with what looked like a great deal of activity on my machine
help would be appreciated. Thank you

Alan H E 15:08 07 Mar 2007

Have you tried spyware scans? why not uninsal AVG & download again.

Ex plorer 15:12 07 Mar 2007

Why not run Windows XP own Fire Wall.

WallyD 15:15 07 Mar 2007

I have reinstalled AVG to no avail
I read somewhere not to rely on XP Firewall but I suppose its worth a try.
Cheers

Alan H E 15:17 07 Mar 2007

Windows firewall not so good as Zone Alarm (which I use) or Comodo.

Alan H E 15:19 07 Mar 2007

Any joy on spyware scans.

Ex plorer 15:19 07 Mar 2007

I will stand to be corrected on this but I thought the difference between XP Home and XP Professional was that it had better security fire wall.

Alan H E 15:22 07 Mar 2007

[email protected] on XP home so I might be wrong.

WallyD 16:10 07 Mar 2007

Not really qualified to answer some of your xp questions as I only now whatI read in mags and this site of course.
I used Zonealarm for years with ME and then I moved to Xp and had difficulty with Zonealarm so I took advice and moved over to Comodo.

WallyD 16:19 07 Mar 2007

I've removed Comodo
All is well so far
I've looked at security centre and Firewall is active.It was comforting to see zonealrm ask if messages were to be transmitted. Does Xp firewall work in this fashion
cheers

WallyD 16:23 07 Mar 2007

Sorry folks just gone into Xp security and it gives the know exeptions. Even I understand this
Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone