AVG 2011

ponytail 08:20 04 Nov 2010

I installed AVG 2011 on my wifes notepad and went to update it this morning but nothing happens.When I went into it it allready said it was updating.Went to uninstall it and try to reinstall it and got the folowing message.
Severity;Error
Error Code 0xc0070643
Error Message:@Mfageneralinternal error
Additional Message:The windows installer service could not be accessed.This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode,or if the Windows installer is not correctly installed.Contact your support personnel for assistance.
Context;Initialization.
What is this and why am I unable to remove this program why is it stopping me.
Can someone help.
Thanks

Andsome 08:21 04 Nov 2010

I see so many problems on various forums with AVG, I just thank goodness for ESET Nod 32 security suite.

The Kestrel 09:38 04 Nov 2010

Read this thread to see how AVG can be uninstalled successfully. click here

johndrew 09:47 04 Nov 2010

I had problems with AVG (free) 2011 click here and had problems removing it. I went back to AVG 9 and have stayed there as updates for it are still produced.

ponytail 10:42 04 Nov 2010

Thanks for all the advice and I downloaded revo-uninstaller and it looked like it was going to work untill it got to section three and I got the following message again.

Severity;Error
Error Code 0xc0070643
Error Message:@Mfageneralinternal error
Additional Message:The windows installer service could not be accessed.This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode,or if the Windows installer is not correctly installed.Contact your support personnel for assistance.
Context;Initialization.

Which is the same as before if I tried to install AVG 9 would that perhaps override my current one

birdface 10:54 04 Nov 2010

This for XP or Vista think there is another version for W/7.

click here

ponytail 11:00 04 Nov 2010

Hi buteman it is for XP

johndrew 19:41 04 Nov 2010

You could try to install AVG 9 over the top but I'm not sure if it will work. Worth a try.

If it fails I would suggest two possibilities.

Try the uninstall in Safe Mode but open the AVG Overview screen an turn off all functions you can before you start the uninstall process.

If that fails, stay in Safe Mode with as many AVG functions turned off as you can, open C:/Programs and find the AVG file. Right click and Delete the file. It may resist but hopefully it will delete. Restart your PC and run Ccleaner to remove any vestiges of AVG. Then install AVG 9 and do all the updates.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone