Avast5 is a pain !

Kalb 12:12 24 Oct 2010

I'm running Av4.8 on WinXp & have been pesterd by the pop up to upgrade to Av5
Clicked install on the pop up & it loads but on restart PC locks up at the desktop with no icons
Tried again with ZoneAlarm turned off. it loads to the end & reports an error & aborts.
In safe mode have uninstalled Av4.8 with their uninstaller & installed Av5 again lock up at loading of the desktop at restart
After failure I can revert to Av4.8 without any problems.....so what is wrong with Av5 or perhaps with my PC ?

birdface 12:35 24 Oct 2010

Probably zone alarm is the problem.
Just turning it off does not help.

birdface 12:37 24 Oct 2010

Not sure if this works or not as I don't use Avast.

click here

Kalb 13:00 24 Oct 2010

Thanks buteman
Migrated to Avast from AVG9 which seemed to hog resources & to have a mind of its own
Will try modifying the 'Hosts' file to turn off the pop up until the time that support for Av4.8 ends.
Could try uninstalling Zone Alarm but it is such a pain if Av5 fails again as you have to uninstall from safe mode and then re-install Av4.8

Kalb 13:10 24 Oct 2010

Thanks 'l24'
There's quite a bit to digest from your refs so will have a look.....thankfully I can get the PC back working once Av5 bits & pieces are uninstalled.

Kalb 14:12 24 Oct 2010

The evidence points to a conflict between Av5, possibly the Network Shield and Zone Alarm so 'buteman' & 'l24' are correct.
Av5 does not have any problems working with Comodo.
May I suggest anyone thinking of upgrading to Av5 should first make sure they have a copy of Av4.8 to fall back on...from here click here
Apparently problems with Av5 are not always immediate.....some report using Av5 for upto a week before it suddenly stops working
I'm sticking with Av4.8 for now as its working OK and updating. When the support stops I'll have to think again.
Thanks for your help guys

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?