Avast at Windows start-up?

Cymro. 16:12 26 Jun 2009

Whenever I download anything of the Internet Avast spins away merrily in the task-bar, all well and good that is what it is suppose to do and I have no problem with that.

But why it is that when I start up my computer and it goes from boot-up to loading the Windows operating system the Avast icon spins. I assume it is checking my Windows for viruses.

But surly if the operating system had no viruses the last time it was used as everything was checked by Avast anyway then how could it have developed any viruses when the computer is off?

Is it really necessary to have Avast check the operating system every time I load it up from start-up? Obviously it slows down the proses of loading and seems so unnecessary.
I must be missing something!

Rahere 16:15 26 Jun 2009

i may be annoying but all AV programs do this -Say a virus was downloaded onto your computer and only became active when you rebooted or on specific date then you'd be covered.

If it annoys you then turn off the spinning animation at least...

ened 16:18 26 Jun 2009

If you are connected by router then as soon as you turn the computer on you are connected to the internet.

This happens with me and often the 'voice' will inform me that 'Avast has been updated'.

So it is more than likely searching for an update than checking your files/system.

provider 2 16:23 26 Jun 2009

Avast checks your memory at start-up by default.

You can turn it off if you wish by right-clicking the blue icon and in program settings, untick the first item ... it shouldn`t take all that long, though.

Cymro. 16:25 26 Jun 2009

Yes I suppose there is a danger of that happening but would not Avast have spotted it when it was first downloaded onto my computer before I ever switch my system off?

Suppose I was willing to take that risk and switch Avast off at start-up but still check everything else that was downloaded for the rest of the session on the net? Is it possible to switch Avast off just while Windows loads-up but then have it come on automatically afterwards.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:32 26 Jun 2009
  Rahere 16:36 26 Jun 2009

I think avast will check system files whenever it starts so you will have to wait at some stage. This is part of the design.

If you turn scanning off it's your choice but don't expect to be covered.

T I M B O 16:55 26 Jun 2009

Avast has a unique scanning system on it that uses very little recourses. It is always scanning that pc to ensure you have a clean pc. If you are experencing a slow pc, then maybe have a look and see how many icons by the clock, and also look in the msconfig and see whats in there, i have 4 in mine. Software to proyect my hidden partition and my avast & online armor. No need for yahoo and java and stuff like that. Also run ccleaner and get rid of rubbish that might be lurking on that system.

Best of luck !!!

T I M B O 16:57 26 Jun 2009

excuse the typo's ;-))

Belatucadrus 17:34 26 Jun 2009

Don't forget it runs the rootkit scan at system startup, you can disable it via avast! settings Troubleshooting, but it seems counter productive.

Cymro. 17:56 26 Jun 2009

Thanks for lot`s of interesting replies, but as we eat early here I will have to get back to this tomorrow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?