Avast v. AVG

pienter 21:09 07 Nov 2008

I have recently switched from AVG to Avast and find that the latter reports a large number of files which it is unable to scan because they are either decompression bombs or are password protected. The bombs are VOB files and many of the password protected files belong to SpyBot, both sources which I recognise. Some of the password protected items are, however, files identified by large alpha numeric titles. How can one discover if these are dangerous? Also why does AVG not report any of these problems? Is Avast more thorough than AVG?

FatboySlim71 21:25 07 Nov 2008

The "files identified by large alpha numeric titles" are probably files to do with either your operating system or they are Windows Updates.

"Is Avast more thorough than AVG"

Some will say Avast is and Vice versa. Personally I use neither, I have used Avira for around 4 months and find it excellent, very light on your system resources. From what I could gather Avira tends to score higher on detection than Avast or AVG.

woodchip 22:31 07 Nov 2008

I used AVG for a very short while on one XP laptop, I soon Put Free Avast on it, like my other XP computers

bluto1 22:47 07 Nov 2008

I prefer Avast to AVG. In my opinion it does a more thorough job. I'm always open to change, though, so FatboySlim71, how about a link to Avira, so we can at least look at it.

DieSse 22:47 07 Nov 2008

Avast is reporting these things nd AVG is not, probably because the free version of AVG isn't checking them, and/or because you've not set an option to check them.

There are many things the free version of AVG doesn't do - see here.

click here

I't quite correct that if the Spybot deleted item folder is checked, the files are compressed and password protected - that's to insulate potentially harmful files from being activated. So Avast is correct.

The same will be true for any password protected files - they cannot be checked because the AV scan cannot open them (correctly.)

Read here about "decompression bombs"

click here

Sounds like a flaw in the method used to check inside large compressed files to me.

Avira free version also suffers from lack of facilities, just like AVG

click here

however what it does have seems a tad better than AVG free (Avira has some Rootkit protection for instance)

You just can't beat a good comprehensive AV program - you just have to pay to get one.

click here

FatboySlim71 08:32 08 Nov 2008

Ooops bluto1 forgot about the link lol.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?