Is Avast slowing my PC?

geoff47 22:49 02 Nov 2005

I recently had problems with AVG and was advised to try Avast,which I did.
Now when I retrieve E-mail (using Thunderbird) the scanner seems to hang.
I have looked through these forums,and it says that Avast tends to slow older type PCs.
Would I be better off changing back to AVG?
Using Win98 by the way.
Any advice would be helpful.
Geoff47

Splork 22:53 02 Nov 2005

Both are pretty hefty programs these days. How `old` a machine are we talking about?
Personally, I think email scanning is pointless, any emails that have virus' will be picked up if you try to open them, and if they contain attachments and aren't from trusted sources they shouldn't be opened anyway....why scan them twice...

geoff47 23:01 02 Nov 2005

About 4 to 5 years old now I believe.
So what are you suggesting not to have antivirous?
Or did I miss a subtle difference here?

Splork 23:04 02 Nov 2005

No, I would never suggest that :) Email scanning seems to be the cause of more problems than it solves.

Belatucadrus 23:31 02 Nov 2005
  woodchip 23:44 02 Nov 2005

This is what I use on my Win98se Desktop Achilles'Shield 3.0 You have to get used to using it But never had a Virus in about 7 years using it from early versions. It's faster than any other AV does not need updates. But only works with Win98. Not 2000 or XP click here

Scroll down page

geoff47 01:18 03 Nov 2005

Thanks everybody....to cut a long story short I uninstalled Avast and reinstalled AVG.
Thunderbird still faulters when downloading,but that is possibly because it has just downloaded everything and is double checking......or is that just the way I think?
Better a program I know than a strange one?
Thanks again
Geoff47

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?