Avast registration key - stored where ?

greybeard 15:07 11 Apr 2008

Setting up a new hdd with win98se, I've copied over Avast as a folder. It was previously registered by the owner for whom I'm doing this.
Now wishing to install, it asks me for the registration key. I assume this was stored somewhere on the original hdd and I may, or may not have copied that over. I didn't copy the windows file as I was doing a clean instal.
Can anyone tell me where to find it ?
(The machine is off line, and a new account has yet to be set up, so going to Avast to send me the key is not yet an option.)
Thanks
John

Stuartli 15:11 11 Apr 2008

Click on the top left of the main Avast! panel (arrow)>Settings>About Avast! tab.

You should get the licence registration panel link - once you have got a registration key by e-mail (best to download latest version), you copy and paste it into the panel and OK.

By the way make sure you indicate when registering that it's for personal use, otherwise you won't be sent a key.

greybeard 15:18 11 Apr 2008

I can't click on any panel.
It isn't installed yet.

It is already registered, I'm just moving the whole thing over to her new pc.

tullie 15:30 11 Apr 2008

To be honest,you could have downloaded it and installed a new copy,why bother doing it the hard way?

greybeard 15:48 11 Apr 2008

Downloaded and installed ?
How ? It's not on line, and when it finally is, it will have Avast installed and running.
All the information I need is on the hdd which is on the bench in front of me, connected via a usb link to the replacement pc.
Could someone answer my original question please.
ie where is the key stored in the original hdd?

Sea Urchin 16:06 11 Apr 2008

According to the Avast website the only way you can find the key is to register again - I would suggest it should be one of the first things you do when you are finally on line. It won't stop working but the key may be needed in future for receiving updates.

Sea Urchin 16:16 11 Apr 2008

I should have said that the key expires after 12 months - and you would then need a new one anyway

greybeard 16:48 11 Apr 2008

Thanks, Sea Urchin

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:21 11 Apr 2008

Rght click the icon in the system Tray and select About Avast that will show you the registration key

Sea Urchin 17:22 11 Apr 2008

As greybeard said it won't allow installation without the key, so there's no icon to click

Stuartli 18:16 11 Apr 2008

>>Could someone answer my original question please. ie where is the key stored in the original hdd?>>

Exactly where I told you earlier. If there is no main panel, then you can't find the registration key field; however, you could have a search through Awil Software in Program Files......

Why not download Avast! from the website and transfer and install it using a memory card/pen drive (see below re registration).

Sea Urchin

Avast! comes with an automatic 60 day licence - registering through its website extends that period to around 12-14 months.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?