AVAST problem

littlestan 15:20 28 Jun 2009

Hi, I just cannot get past the AVAST memory scan onto the selection to run a proper scan. It runs the memory one and then just ....nothing. I have gone via programmes etc but still wont budge. My re-registration is well within its 12 to 18 months so frustrated! Anyone help please? Thank you LS

p;3 15:24 28 Jun 2009

Why do you not just stop the Memory Scan when you start up the Avast program ?? Mine has a tab for that....

littlestan 15:29 28 Jun 2009

p;3 - tried that - just whizzy blue circle then nothing.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:32 28 Jun 2009

Uninstall and reinstall and retry.

littlestan 15:33 28 Jun 2009

fruit bat - will try

T I M B O 15:33 28 Jun 2009

Thats not the VRB doing it's thing is it??

p;3 15:37 28 Jun 2009

How are you trying to start the program?
Are you clicking on the Avast icon on your Desktop or the icon in your System Tray?

littlestan 10:08 29 Jun 2009

Hey guys - i turned the whole machine off and then on and it seemed to solve the problem, but its not the first time this has happened so not sure if Vista likes AVAST! TIMBO what is VRB? Sorry complete twit with this stuff.

Will be back if it plays up again!

Thanks as always LS x

T I M B O 10:22 29 Jun 2009

VRDB stands for "Virus Recovery Database"; it was known as "Integrity Database" in previous avast! versions. The aim of VRDB is to help when, despite all the security measures, a virus gets inside the computer and the files are infected. With the help of VRDB, it is possible to repair many infected files (return them exactly to their original state). VRDB is announced by an icon with the letter "i" in the system tray (next to the clock). If the icon is animated, the database is being created right now.

VRDB PRINCIPLE

avast! creates an integrity database, i.e. it stores information about the actual state of the files, doing it three versions back for each file. The database creation/maintenance is performed either when the computer is idle, or when the screen-saver is running (any screen-saver, not only the avast! one). This database, once it is created, is updated each three weeks (this value may be changed by editing avast4.ini).
If a file is infected by a virus, it may be possible to repair it using the information stored in VRDB, i.e. turn it to its original state. If there are multiple versions of the file in the database, you can choose which version you want to restore.

dazza39 11:03 29 Jun 2009

Once is working its a very good program I use all the time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?