AVAST has found virus/trojan but cannot delete

FatboySlim71 20:21 24 Oct 2006

I have Windows XP Pro and Avast Professional. When I scan with AVAST it finds a file that is infected with win32:Apropo-E [TRI] Trojan horse. But I will show below what is shown on AVAST when the above is found,

This is what is shown first

click here

And this is what is shown when I try to either move to chest or delete the infected file

click here

Can anyone be of help as to how to either delete this infected file or a program that will be able to, any help will be greatly appriaciated.

VoG II 20:23 24 Oct 2006

I think it is a false positive anyway.

birdface 20:57 24 Oct 2006

Try thisclick here Try Trend Micro, You get a free scan there, Or Spysweeper I think they get rid of it.

birdface 20:59 24 Oct 2006

Cancel that click here . Not the proper one,

VoG II 21:00 24 Oct 2006

Online scanners

BitDefender Free Online Virus Scan
click here
Make sure you tick AutoClean under Scan Options.

Panda ActiveScan
click here
Make sure you tick Disinfect automatically under Scan Options.

Housecall at TrendMicro
click here
Make sure you tick Auto Clean.

eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner
click here

But I still think it is a false positive.

FatboySlim71 21:03 24 Oct 2006

Thanks all for the help it is much Appriaciated, I will try the suggestions and post back an update. Thanks again.

FatboySlim71 22:59 24 Oct 2006

I tried all the online scanners Vog that you suggested and the infected file was not detected, so I think you must be right, it was a false positive. Thanks all for the help its much appriaciated.

Belatucadrus 00:12 25 Oct 2006

A useful option for avast if it finds a file it can't delete is the "Schedule boot time scan" Open avast! the click Menu / Schedule boot time scan, then restart the system. Avast! will then scan before windows is fully booted and has started protecting files, so it should have a much better chance of clearing them.

FatboySlim71 08:57 25 Oct 2006

Also, I tried scanning today after an update for AVAST and it now does not find the file as infected, so as VoG said "It sounds like a false positive"

Thanks Belatucadrus, I didnt know that I could do that with AVAST, ill bear that in mind the next time I have a file that I cannot delete, Thanks all for the info it has been much appriaciated. Ill now mark as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?