Avast - frree anti virus new version

john bunyan 09:40 29 Mar 2015
Answered

My free Avast offered and installed a new version this morning - v 10.2.2215. A restart was needed.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:59 29 Mar 2015

Not offered yet I'm still on 2214

hssutton 12:25 29 Mar 2015

It was available for me under 'settings, update'

Batch 12:29 29 Mar 2015

I only tend to update pgm very infrequently (maybe once a year). I occasionally check the release history to see if there's anything urgent (usually not).

john bunyan 14:46 29 Mar 2015

This update was offered when I started my PC this morning. It "popped up" in the bottom right corner above Avast and then installed the new version. I did not set out to look for it.

rdave13 15:12 29 Mar 2015

Thanks jb , updating it now.

rdave13 16:00 29 Mar 2015

john bunyan , as an aside to your info I'm seriously thinking of running without a third party AV. Going back to Defender which is an antivirus of sorts in Win 8.1.

I've the pro version of MBAM, the anti-exploit, Spywareblaster and ADW to fall back on if needed plus images. Also CryptoPrevent.

I'm finding these AV's to be too intrusive to what you've actually got on your PC.

john bunyan 18:21 29 Mar 2015

rdave13

Thanks for the input. I only, on my own PC's have W7 so will continue with it. I have the same as you re MBAM etc.

I "loosely supervise" two grand daughters (22 and 20 !!)PC's who have W7 but will shortly have W8.1 so am interested in your findings as they are poorly disciplined when it comes to security and back ups !! (In spite of , probably, being cleverer than me!)

john bunyan 18:22 29 Mar 2015

PS the new version of Avast seemed to scan far more quickly than before in the "smart Scan" mode.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:17 29 Mar 2015
Answer

Forget anything to due with AV from Msoft its a waste of time Avast is still rated the best free antivirus by the majority of comparison sites.

bumpkin 19:44 29 Mar 2015

they are poorly disciplined when it comes to security and back up

I am sure they will get the hang of it when they lose all their data and photos and music. Explaining until you are blue in the face will not work it has to be an experience thing until the message is finaly understood.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?