Avast Disrupted My Internet Browsers.

Phoenix40 22:16 23 Jun 2014

Hello i wonder if someone can explain whats happened to my internet browsers. It started with my Avast antivirus system; i kept getting a popup telling me that i had two addons that were affecting my browsing. One was a Sales App and the other was called Cbrowser Research or something like that and it asked me if i wanted to remove them, which i did. Then when i opened up my I/E the open page was changed from using Bing to MSN.UK Outlook. When i opened up my Google Chrome instead of their opening search engine page i also got MSN.UK. I was able to change the I/E back to Bing if i wanted to as my home page, but i seem to be unable to do it with Chrome. I still keep getting the MSN homepage; is there anyway i can bring back the Google opening page? Is this a virus attack is it a legitimate warning from Avast? It did ask me if i wanted either Yahoo or MSN as my homepage but i dont want it on google. So one is it a virus attack? Or can i change my Google Chrome homepage? Thanks for any ideas.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:25 23 Jun 2014

Chrome - open google search page then - tools(three lines) - settings - On Start up select open a specific page or pages - set pages -use current pages

Phoenix40 01:51 24 Jun 2014

Hello thanks i manage to work it out like you said. But i clicked the New Tab button to set the Google Chrome search engine as the homepage site. I also used system restore to go back before i changed anything on the Avast pop ups. But it still keeps once a day asking me to remove the Cbrowser Research tab which ive got disabled anyway. I suppose theres no way to cancel this pop up on Avast? If anyone knows how to cancel the pop up let me know thanks.

Ex plorer 07:34 24 Jun 2014

I use Avast and as you say get the occasional warning about an add on not been suitable with the option to delete which I do.

I use Google UK for my home page, after pressing delete I get a message that wants to move me to Yahoo search, I click on the cross to close the pop up and Google UK remains as the homepage.

Phoenix40 13:47 24 Jun 2014

Hello thanks explorer i ll try and do that next time the Avast pop up shows again. Yes it asked if i wanted Yahoo or MSN.UK as homepage but i didnt realise just closing down i would keep Google as homepage. As long as it doesnt affect my internet browsing losing those add ons because they seem to be there when i first setup my computer. I think the Cbrowsing research add on is to do with me using Packard Bell computer. Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires