Avast AV - A Question

Binnacle 16:24 30 May 2008

I have just installed Avast and am trying to get to grips with it.
On the task bar icon it shows " 7 providers total , 6 running ". Is this ok and what does it indicate ?

Clapton is God 16:30 30 May 2008

It indicates which programs/processes Avast is monitoring (have a scroll through the list it provides).

When it say "7 providers total, 6 running", it means that one of the programs it usually monitors (Outlook, for example) is probably not currently running on your PC and, thus, it cannot/need not monitor it.

provider 2 16:31 30 May 2008

Right click the blue globe. Click On-Access Protection Control.

This takes you to the page where you can click each "provider" to see if it is working.

Six running is quite normal. The one not running will be "waiting for a sub-system to start" ie something you are not using at the moment.

provider 2 16:32 30 May 2008

Sorry, Clapton. You beat me to it. I must speed up the old typing a bit.

Binnacle 16:38 30 May 2008

Got it now thanks.

Binnacle 17:03 30 May 2008

One other question please.
I did a "thorough " scan today and it seemed to take quite a long time. So i thought that i would do that scan weekly and daily do a quick or normal scan. Is that about right ?

provider 2 17:07 30 May 2008

That`s about right, as you say. Scanning will take longer the more programs you have.

There may be no need to scan daily, however, since Avast! is running from the moment you switch on, by default.

provider 2 17:14 30 May 2008

Forgot to add that any problems you have will be answered here eventually, depending on the time of day when helpers will be logged on, of course.

click here

Binnacle 17:31 30 May 2008

Thank you for your help and the link.

provider 2 17:33 30 May 2008

You`re welcome.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?