Avast 5

the hick 10:32 24 Apr 2010

I have recently downloaded latest Avast to PC. However, it seems to have affected it somewhat, internet connections have slowed down, and seems a bit 'jerky' in navigating through them. Broadband speed test is same as it was. Is there a known problem with this please, or sould I look for other causes? The old Avast gave no problems.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:37 24 Apr 2010

Yes Avast 5 has been giving some problems.
I've stayed with 4.5 until they have sorted it.

provider 2 10:44 24 Apr 2010

I`ve found no such slowing at all on my system.

However, I know that some users have. This may be worth a read to get to the root of the problem: click here (Avast forum)

the hick 10:46 24 Apr 2010

Fruit Bat, thankyou for rapid response. Can I just un-install 5 and instal 4.5 from Filehippo, or is there more to it than that? I have never 'gone back' from a current application. Any help appreciated, thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:15 24 Apr 2010

Can I just un-install 5 and instal 4.5 from Filehippo, or is there more to it than that?

Yes but better to use the Avast removal tool click here

woodchip 13:22 24 Apr 2010

I use Avast 5 with no problems on a Netbook and Laptop no problems. You should uninstall Old Avast before loading 5

Ventad 14:19 24 Apr 2010

Thanks for that I did not realise that it was AVAST 5 causing IE8 to stick for about 30 secs after opening on different pages, back to 4.8 and no more problems.

Ventad 15:05 24 Apr 2010

Spoke too soon started sticking again after 45 mins, just deleted google search bar incase it is that

john 52 19:34 24 Apr 2010

I had problems with Avast !! I now use MSE as recommended and it seems to do a good job without using to much system resources !

rdave13 19:44 24 Apr 2010

MSE I'm running on laptop, Avast 5, as well, as I dual boot. When Avast complains about a web page, I take note and then reboot to XP.
MSE has no idea about an infection on a web site.
About as effective as Windows Defender was.
Only in my humble opinion.

john 52 21:22 24 Apr 2010

Thanks rdave13 for your comments I will take them on-board .

I understood that the reviews of Microsoft security Essentials were very positive and had been recommended on this site by many posters but time will tell

I agree with your comments about Windows Defender

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?