Avast! 4 Home

dms05 07:09 22 Jan 2006

I've used AVG for the past 3 years but have decided to give Avast! a try. So I've uninstalled AVG completely and installed Avast! 4 Home v4.6 in it's place.

However I'm now having problems with emails and get the following type of error:

[email protected]
POP3 server unavailable. Network problems? [Server response:-ERR Cannot connect to POP server 205.158.xxx.yyy (205.158.xxx.yyy), connect error 10061]

Anyone any ideas what's happening and why?

ICF 07:18 22 Jan 2006

You have to allow ashMaiSv.exe access to the internet look click here

AndySD 07:23 22 Jan 2006

click here and have a read.

dms05 07:36 22 Jan 2006

Thanks for the link. I'm using XP and Avast!v4.6 with Opera, so my email settings should be transparent.

I've checked my Firewall (Sygate) and all the relevant Avast! modules are allowed. I've even added my email server IP address as a 'trusted' address.

I still can't send or receive emails.

Initially when I stated Avast! I had pop-ups that asked me to complete/confirm my email user name etc etc.

AVG worked seamlessly with exactly the same set up!

dms05 08:00 22 Jan 2006

If I try to send the smallest email I can manage (addressee, one character as subjest, one character as message) then the email goes and the Avast! icon rotates. But it takes ages to send.

The same for receive. I've planted very small emails on my email server after removing larger ones. I can very slowly receive the small emails but nothing above 1.2kb.

I think I'm off back to AVG!

dms05 08:30 22 Jan 2006

AndySD.
Thanks for the link. I've run On-Access and gone to Mail>Customise>Advanced and found the Time Out was set to 2 seconds as default. I've increased this to 60 seconds and no longer get the error messages. Thanks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?