AV2006 on two computers?

sinewave 18:51 17 Sep 2006

I have a Desktop & a Laptop that are used in a Home/Office environment which are connected to the Internet via a Linksys WAG54G router.

Is there a more cost effcetive way of protecting the two PC's using Norton AV2006, as currently I have AV2005 installed on both units?

Do I now have to pay twice over to renew the software to 2006 or is there a better way?

ArrGee 18:56 17 Sep 2006

The better way would be to ditch Norton (as probably a lot of others will tell you) and use the free Avast or AVG
click here

click here

silverous 18:57 17 Sep 2006

Check the licence details - I suspect you are licenced per machine so if you choose that route then you have to pay twice.

You could, as many do here, go the 'free' route. There are many fine free security programs - AVG being one of them from a virus perspective.

sinewave 21:12 17 Sep 2006

I actualy have the Internet Security Suite instaled on both Computers.

Is there something better out there that is generaly thought of as a viable/better alternative?

ArrGee 21:15 17 Sep 2006

Sure, silverous and I have suggested a viable/better alternative. Norton is a good suite, but difficult to manage, very intrusive and slows down performance. A number of free applications will be a better bet.

sinewave 18:26 18 Sep 2006

I don't doubt Avast or AVG are good or even better, but how do they compete with Symantec when they don't charge anything and Symantec's stuff is £40 upwards on a yearly basis?

It just doesn't seem logical, as I would imagine that a lot of R&D and labour goes into keeping one step behind the Hackers etc!

Jimmy14 18:32 18 Sep 2006

a war will break out soon. Norton anti-virus 2006 with 2 licenses is £44 from Amazon,
click here
Norton Internet Security 2006 with 2 licenses is £63,
click here

I would also point out to you sinewave that Nortons Internet Security suite 2006 won the security suite tests from PC Advisors magazine a couple of issues back out of 15 suites I think so it must be good. I personally like Norton and will soon be upgrading to their 2007 version when my years subscription is up in December,

James

anskyber 19:09 18 Sep 2006

An alternative view, and not resource hungry if you want a suite. click here Otherwise the free route is not all inclusive, it is necessary to get an anti virus, firewall and anti spyware program for each. But it is free. This site (ie PCA blogs on the home page) has suggested that the virus signatures may not be up to date for free program. Your choice really.

silverous 21:25 19 Sep 2006

"It just doesn't seem logical, as I would imagine that a lot of R&D and labour goes into keeping one step behind the Hackers etc!"

True, but also a lot goes into polishing the product, marketing, developing an entire, integrated suite and profits for a big plc.

Don't forget most of the companies that offer free products also offer chargable versions and hope that you will upgrade to get the extra features.

sinewave 10:09 20 Sep 2006

Cheers everyone, you've given me a bit to think about!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?