AV Suite recommendation

ventanas 15:37 16 Sep 2008

I've seen in the past certain sites that compare the abilities of the various programs, but they seem a bit elusive at the moment.
My one year free McAfee offering is coming to and end, and I'm not overkeen on renewing it. Can't really say why, just a feeling.
I've always used NOD32 in the past, but have the Eset suite installed on all the machines in the office, and really I don't like that either. Too much hands on needed, particilarly with the firewall.
So I would be grateful for pointers to any site that lines them up together for comparison. Has anyone any views on Kaspersky? It seems to be cheap enough.
I don't use the free offerings by the way.
Thanks for any help.

DieSse 15:45 16 Sep 2008

I use the eset security suite - and have used NOD32 for many years - entirely without problems.

I'm mystified by you comment about "too much hand-on" - I have never needed to do anything with it?

ventanas 15:48 16 Sep 2008

Probably because the machines it's installed on are all connected to a Domain. It is continually blocking access to the network and making admin a pain. I have now got into the habit of turning the firewall off on any machine I need to access.
It is probably very different on a single machine.

DieSse 16:02 16 Sep 2008

I thought your comment may be related to a network rather than a single system - however I have no experience of running it on a network, so can't comment further.

rawprawn 17:11 16 Sep 2008

Hi John, I have been using Kaspersky for the last 3 months with no trouble. It can be quite a handful if you want to customise a lot of settings but it isn't really necessary, and anyway after a week or so you easily get used to it.
You can get it free if you bank online with Barclays. (thats how I got mine)
I give it the thumbs up!

ventanas 11:06 17 Sep 2008

Thanks Dennis. it's £20 at PCW at the moment. Might give it a go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017