AV protection stats from Zero-day threats

squillary 13:33 27 May 2007

click here

Not that this is the be-all and end-all but it's interesting. One of the highest rated is free software - Avira Antivir click here - at 65% compared to Panda 53%, Bit-Defender 51%, Kaspersky 46%, F-Secure 42%, NOD32 37%, AVG 27%, Symantec 25%, McAfee 25% and Avast 22%.

Elsewhere it's rated against the other freebies as better at file-scanning, as a memory monitor and at polymorphic detection. Marginally slower it's biggest drawback is a lack of an email scanner.

Any other comments\advantages\drawbacks?

jarvis10@btinternet.com 14:06 27 May 2007

i think if you went by reviews and and performance under 'test' conditions you would change your protection by the day. i use whats tried, tested and works on my pc, with the sites i visit, the programs i use, the enviroment i put my pc in. all pc's are used in different ways by different people stick with what works for you i say!

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:12 27 May 2007

I've used AVG free for 4 years with no firewall and have never had an infection. I have never seen a virus on a computer in at least 18 months. As far as I'm concerned there is very little threat at all so the 'results' are on the dismissive side of irrelevant apart from the provoking usual and terminally dull reams of 'a paid for AV, NOD, AntiVir etc ad inf. is the best' tracts.

I get the strange feeling that there is not a lot to worry home users apart from inadvertently downloading Trojans. Just use any old freebie AV and refrain from reading all the Armageddon ramblings from 'security sites'.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone