AV, Firewall, SpyWare... Forum opinions

jaytek 10:46 13 Feb 2006

I have been using Trend Micro Internet Security for the past 5 years. However, over the past year I have become dissatisfied with the quality of the Trend Micro Firewall and the technical ability of the Trend Micro support personnel. Because of this I am now looking to replace Trend Micro as the security product vendor.

I prefer an "all-in-one" solution rather than separate products from different vendors. The reason is simply that conflicts can arise when security products from different vendors are installed in the same environment.

I am looking for feedback from Forum Members on the "good, bad and ugly" features of the products below. In addition comments re the technical competence of the support team would be welcome.

Specifically I am looking for Forum opinions on the the "PRO" versions and not the "free" versions of these products.

* ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

* Norton Internet Security 2006

* McAfee Internet Security Suite

* BitDefender 9 Internet Security

* Other.....??

Thanks in advance.

Totally-braindead 11:03 13 Feb 2006

I realise what you are saying about conflict when using individual parts rather then a suite with all the products together, however I have seen conflicts between the parts of these suites, notably with the Norton one on a friends computer. If you wish to pay for a suite instead of using the free individual items then fair enough but if you wish to do this to avoid conflict between the individual parts you may find problems as some people, admitadly a minority have still had problems.
Can't comment on the others but I'm sure other members of the Forum will. I'm sure you realise from your posting that many of us, if not most, use the free ones and are very happy with them.

Belatucadrus 11:03 13 Feb 2006

click here PCPro security package reviews.
I don't like the packages because of the degree of integration, I prefer the modular approach where the chances of attack on any one item affecting another is minimised.
Also confining yourself to the packages eliminates some of the strongest anti virus software such as Nod32, Sophos and avast!
I can't make any comments on the support teams involves as so far (fingers crossed) I've not needed them.

rawprawn 11:09 13 Feb 2006

click here I'm very happy with this, take it for a 30 day trial.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?