Autoruns (programme)

bluto1 21:46 17 Oct 2007

Yesterday evening I installed Autoruns with a view to reducing my Start up content. I merrily unticked everything I thought I didn't want.
Today I booted up, got as far as my desktop with access to my Words and other office programmes, but when I tried to get on the 'net, no chance. I found my Modem wasn't connected so went through the reconnect motions only to find that my DVD-Rom and my DVD-RW were disabled. To be truthful I was near to tears, but I watched The Bill to calm me down, came back, booted up and opened Autoruns and ticked everything that was unticked. All is now well, insomuch as I can ask you Ladies and Gentlemen what I'm allowed to switch off. I shall be eternally greatful for any help.

Devil Fish 21:50 17 Oct 2007

ist off what os are you running windows 2000 xp vista etc

bluto1 22:00 17 Oct 2007

OS is XPSP2

Devil Fish 22:09 17 Oct 2007

win xp

you do not actually need to use a 3rd party program to stop startup programs

click on start then run and tpye in msconfig then press the enter/return button you will be presented with a grey box

click on the startup tab this will give you a list of startup programs

as a rule of thumb anything listed as C:\windows\system leave well alone also your av needs to start up with the system

if you are unsure about a listing do a google search on it and it should give you the info you need

good luck

bluto1 22:35 17 Oct 2007

Thanks mate, you've explained that perfectly. Before this I never knew which progs to leave alone. Resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?