Autorun.exe has stopped running

douglas1973 11:04 26 Oct 2011

Have been setting up a new computer for a friend running Windows 7. As I was just getting to the end of installing all the programs that he requested I received the following message on startup: "Invalid or damaged Bootable partition". This has gone away now but now I have the following after booting into Windows: Autorun exe has stopped working: APPCRASH AUTORUN.EXE unknown, etc. What can I do to repair this?

northumbria61 11:23 26 Oct 2011

Suggest you check this first -

Click the Start button and select "Control Panel". Double-click on the System icon. In the left pane click on Advanced system settings. Click the "Settings…" button under Performance on the Advanced tab of the System Properties screen that is displayed. Select the Data Execution Prevention tab on the Performance Options screen that is displayed. If you have "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select" already selected then you need to either change the setting to "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services" or add autorun.exe to the exception list. To add autorun.exe (depending on which you are using) to the exception list do the following: Click the "Add…" button at the bottom of the screen. You will then see an "Open" dialog. You need to navigate to the folder that autorun.exe is in and select the program.

Once you have added autorun.exe to the exceptions list click the OK button. You will need to restart Windows before the change takes effect. Once you have completed the steps above Windows should allow installation to run with DEP turned on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone